Chapter Thirteen: Suffocation

Prince Jasper had only been at the palace for six days, and Callidus was already regretting his decision to allow the Eflians to stay until his Coronation banquet.

The presence of the boisterous Crown Prince was disrupting the otherwise orderly and formal atmosphere of the Ashlarian court. His lively and outspoken nature contrasted sharply with the reserved and stoic demeanor of the Ashlarian nobility. Callidus found himself having to constantly remind Jasper of the boundaries set for his stay.

The Eflian prince's curious and adventurous nature often led him to explore areas of the palace that were off-limits to guests, and his attempts to befriend the Ashlar guards and servants were frustratingly effective. His easygoing and affable personality seemed to win people over effortlessly, including Countess Fenella.

Jasper's uncanny ability to find Callidus every morning became an uncomfortable routine. Whether it was unexpectedly popping into his study or cornering him in a hallway, the Eflian prince persistently extended an invitation for Callidus to join him for breakfast. Despite Callidus's declining each time, Jasper seemed undeterred, making the morning encounters increasingly awkward and leaving Callidus feeling trapped.

In addition to his persistent attempts to befriend Callidus, Jasper couldn't help but inquire about Cressida at every opportunity. Each time he approached the subject of visiting his sister, Callidus firmly shut him down, reminding him of their agreed upon terms.

Meanwhile, Cressida remained unaware of her brother's presence in Ashlar. She spent most of her time sleeping or pretending to sleep. Callidus made numerous attempts to engage her, even offering to accompany her outside to the garden or the library, but she rejected his offers each time. Their interactions mainly consisted of Callidus sitting by her side, or curled up around her as she remained motionless on the bed. His attempts at conversation were met with prolonged silences or inscrutable glances from Cressida, leaving him feeling at a loss for how to reach her.

The only moments when she seemed to show any signs of life were during her visits with Quail and Cilla, which Callidus began granting her daily in the hopes of seeing a glimmer of life return to her eyes.

Every day, Callidus made his way to the Royal Tombs and opened Ferox's casket to verify that he was still deceased. On one particular morning, when Cressida refused to leave her bed even to visit Quail and Cilla, Callidus found himself sitting atop Ferox's casket, deeply engrossed in re-reading Mint's notes. With Ferox's lifeless face staring up at him, Callidus focused on the section about Cressida's food preferences, hoping it would offer some clues to help her overcome her withdrawn state.

Several days ago, to his dismay, Callidus realized that he had been mistaken about Cressida's favorite food. Unintentionally, he had been asking the kitchen to prepare lemon pastries for her, completely unaware that she couldn't stand them. This revelation served as a painful reminder of how little he truly understood the woman he loved most. Despite his sincere efforts to bring her comfort, he had unknowingly added to her distress.

(Quail was sufficiently punished for the misinformation.)

Callidus flipped through the pages of Mint's notes, first re-reading about Cressida's homesickness and feelings of loneliness. Then, he came across the section where Mint revealed Cressida's recurring nightmares of being crushed and trapped. However, it was the passage detailing Cressida's anger and resentment towards him that struck him the most. The words stung, yet he found himself unable to resist revisiting that passage over and over again. It was like reopening a wound that he didn't want to heal, a constant reminder of the pain he had inflicted upon her.

As Callidus continued to pore over Mint's notes, he was suddenly startled by a familiar horrible sensation. The air in the casket shifted and constricted, as if being sucked in. Callidus looked down, only to be met with the wide-eyed and fearful stare of Ferox, his brother's lifeless face now alive with terror.