Chapter 9 - Constructing!

A blood-curdling rumble went through the metal plate leaning loosely against the wall as Bull banged his head against it.

He'd been doing that for as long as he could remember. It was an excellent way to deal with anger, frustration, and all other upsetting emotions, even when people looked at him like he was out of your mind.

As if the others didn't have their own quirks too, but no, of course it always affected the restless ones.

There was still no sign of Sam in the busy crowd and especially after his defeat in the trust exercises, Bull had found it better to leave the hall and take a short break outside from all the questions, exercises and courses.

The metal clanged again as the boy banged his head against it again.

"Nuts and bolts! Are you okay?"

"Mind your own business."

"Oh, I was actually asking the tin wall. It's literally shaking with fear that your skull will break it like all the stalls and tarpaulins and plates in there! That was so awesome! The first time in all my years that I experienced something exciting here!"

Bull looked up in surprise.

Standing in front of him was a girl his age with fiery red hair, the kind he only knew from witches in picture books and video games. She wore blue dungarees, had intelligent brown eyes, and a few freckles on her nose. What was most noticeable, however, was the impressive vacuum cleaner that she carried around strapped to her back.

"You've been here before?"

"Yes! Already the last three years. I'm going on an expensive private school, but if I represent the school here and win a pin on their behalf, the management lowers my tuition to a price my family can pay."

She seemed childish and gullible, but her smile shone with intelligence and responsibility. Plus, she had to be pretty strong, because the enormous... vacuum cleaner? ... looked anything but light.

"What you performed in the hall was totally impressive. Will this be your super skill if you are a Brawler? "

"Mhm," said Bull, but then he changed his mind and added something else.

"The bulldozer still needs to be perfected. Others are always afraid. Fear of me, or fear for me as I bang my skull against the wall. But I know what I'm doing! I know which part of my skull I can use to hit without a care in the world. I'm training hard and I'm still getting stronger."

He used to do it out of frustration because he always got hot and bothered and couldn't behave like the other kids in his class. Nobody understood him until he discovered the Brawlers: a strange bunch of people from different backgrounds who fought against each other for the distribution of a video game and the amusement of viewers. For the first time he had felt like he belonged to something and since he went to the Brawl gymnasium, he was one of the strongest students, although still a bit of a troublemaker.

"One day, I'll be able to break stone walls with my skull!"

"COOL!"

The boy looked puzzled at the vacuum cleaner girl, who was now standing a few steps in front of him. Genuine interest and pure fascination were evident on her face.

In fact, Bull had never shared his plan with anyone. After all the panicked, alarmed looks whenever he hit his head against something, he had expected that someone would try to talk him out of his plan, but not that anyone would support him.

Embarrassed, Bull touched his temple only to feel something wet there. Astonished, he investigated his hand and saw blood.

Crap! When did that happen?!

"Maybe I should ask you if you're okay too," laughed the vacuum cleaner girl.

"Naw. It's just a scratch."

"Don't tell me that! As a future doctor, I view every injury, no matter how small, as a welcome training session."

Bull wondered whether this was a good thing or a bad thing as the girl unstrapped her vacuum cleaner box from her back and opened it.

Suddenly, a flood of green light illuminated the area. Small green crosses danced in the air and in the next moment the small cut on Bull's temple had healed. In general, his entire body felt fitter again and more ready for the many quests in there.

"Wow! You're really strong!"

"Thanks. Healer magic is usually underestimated by others. But she can be so cool! My super skill will be a healing zone in which my teammates can recover while I use this" – she proudly whirled the vacuum cleaner thing through the air and aimed at the sheet metal still leaning against the wall – "to destroy all opponents!"

A barrage of nuts and bolts erupted from the maw of her weapon, and when Bull turned his gaze to the metal plate, there was only a gaping hole.

"Wow!" he exclaimed again, not only because of the girl's impressive performance, but also because of the three champion pins that flashed out of the healer's box before she closed it again and strapped it to her back. "Where did you get these?!"

"These are from the last few years, flash memory. The Stars Academy is sending it to me so I can show off." She seemed to have an idea, because the next moment she held out her hand to Bull with a conspiratorial grin.

"Maybe you'd better stick with me and I'll show you how to get your own. Come on, we can do this! "

She had to be really bored to get involved with a troublemaker like him.

However, Bull had to admit that he could use all the help he could get to get through the madness in there. So, he took the reed girl's hand.

"Agreed. I'm Bull Nightingale."

"Pam Peverell."