Chapter 6 - Where will I put my friend?

"Jessie? What are you doing in here?! The celebration is out there! Have some fun, girl!"

With an apologetic smile on her lips, Jessie looked from her I-Pad to her friend, who was standing at the doorframe of the storage room and was clearly enjoying rolling her eyes.

"Maybe later," she replied, turning back to her iPad. "If I have solved these tasks here by the next biology lesson, I will get an additional credit."

"Girl, you still have forever for that stuff. Plus, a certain Miss Riptide just showed up! Didn't you want to give her something?"

WHAT?! Penny was actually here?! Luckily, because then Jessie didn't have to give her the cake in high school in front of all the students. She had already attracted enough attention there, so she didn't need any more of these actions, which in the end only reinforced her false statement. She didn't want to be the focus of everyone's eyes and ears – quite the opposite. The redhead wanted nothing more than a peaceful life at school, where she could achieve top results without a care in the world and be overlooked by all the school bullies. She would do anything to make Bibi forget that she even existed.

On the other hand, Jessie had every intention of thanking the pink-haired girl for her help. In fact, Penny had been waiting at her front door with her motorcycle the next morning to take her to school. She even had a sidecar bolted on overnight to make it easier to transport the pump, repair kit and school bags. However, Jessie only had her wrench pliers with her that morning because she wanted to dismantle the damaged bike and repair it at home, away from the looks and comments of others. Penny complied with her request to drive her home a second time and carry the parts of her bike with her. She really was a nice person and had been incredibly helpful to Jessie over the last two days. The redhead would definitely show her appreciation for that.

With flushed cheeks, she picked out the special cake and then let Meg pull her out of the bakery into the festively decorated hall.

The fairy lights that she and Piper had attached to the ceiling gave the ambience, which was decorated with lavender and dark purple hydrangeas, a mystical, festive glow. Since it was a charity party organized by Brawlers, the motto was of course adapted to the current Brawl Pass. At the moment it was the enchanted forest. Appropriately, dark fairies, forest nymphs and stone trolls whirled through the room. The star of the evening was of course Cordelius, while Jessie had simply adapted her Tanuki Skin to the dark, poisonous forest and swapped her baggy trousers for a long, purple skirt.

With the special cake in one hand and Meg's hand in the other, the redhead stumbled across the room. To be precise, Meg once again pulled her like a sack of potatoes. Or like a red rabbit that shyly stared at the many other people, which was a bit absurd since she was currently dressed as a Japanese mythical creature.

As soon as Meg had let her go to join her parents Max Megara and Surge Lightning, Jessie was standing in front of the pink-haired girl - although you couldn't say that today, because Penny's hair was white and fell gently over one eye. She was wearing a blood red dress, and her infamous Skinn's Dark Bunny Hat was perched on her head. Penny was truly a proud bunny who didn't seem to fear any predator in the world when not even the high school rumours could harm her.

"Bonan vesperon Little Red Riding Hood," Penny spoke in Esperanto and grinned broadly.

That smile sparked a strange warmth in Jessie's stomach. As if she had just taken a long sip of hot chocolate on a trip with her mom. With her cheeks still red, Jessie held out the cake to the that-evening-white-haired woman. She had used extra pink sugar beads to draw the Brawlstars logo with an x ​​for an eye and a pirate cannon, although it was assumed that Penny would not have shown up as a candy bunny at an enchanted forest party.

But something like that could only happen to her. She was so stupid.

"A-As a thank you for helping me when my bike got stabbed, I made you a homemade brawl cake."

The sentence sounded so stupid and as soon as it was out, Jessie felt ashamed of it. For that and for her whole demeanour, that she was here at all instead of like Meg with her mom, who had taken the evening off, that she was bothering Penny, that she hadn't skipped three grades yet and had a scholarship to a medical university that she was partly to blame for the economic crisis and climate change...

"Wow! Thank you, Jess, that's really nice of you!"

Penny's eyes lit up and as she accepted the cake, the girls' fingers touched briefly. An unfamiliar tingling sensation rushed through Jessie's body and suddenly she no longer found it so bad that she had gone to the toilet in the middle of English class yesterday.

It was one of those famous magical moments when two people look into each other's eyes and both want to say something but are interrupted by a random whim of the universe. In this case, an explosion went off less than three steps away from the two of them before either of them could open their mouth again.

"SHOWDOWN!" The last person to reach Piper's cake and still standing wins a new pin of his choice plus the first piece of cake!" shouted some robot voice, probably it was 8-Bit.

Everything changed suddenly: Brawlers rushed at each other and drew their weapons, spectators enthusiastically rushed to the edge of the hall and pulled out their cell phones. More explosions went off, hammer blows and drills shook the ground, gold coins, tarot cards, burning bottles, poisonous blades, chewing gum balls and other ordnance flew through the air. Jessie quickly sought cover behind an overturned table. She carefully observed what was happening around her, looking for a suitable location for her watchtower.

Spectators roared and cheered as super wrestler El Primo and school principal Sam engaged in a skilful boxing match and Squeak slid through the crowd like only live dog drool slime can slither. Where was a good place? Further away from Dynamics and his dynamite and definitely not within Emz's reach! A capsule exploded diagonally above her, and Eve's children jumped straight towards her! Time was slowly running out!

Where? Under the cake table there? No, bad range! On the dance floor? No, Scrappy would be flattened straight away. Back there by the steps? Yes! That was a great angle and the stair railing to the upper gallery of the hall even offered some protection.

Just before the little aliens could eat her, Jessie jumped out from behind her tabletop, threw Scrappy onto the chosen spot and the little robot-dog turret immediately opened the fire!

After another five minutes the fight was over. Jess had come a long way, but in the end, it was Brook who got to the cake first. Which was a little strange, because since the hall was smaller than the wide maps, the melee fighters actually had the best chances. In any case, the audience applauded when the brawler cut the cake, all the cell phones still pointed at him so that they could film every second of the spectacle.

Sometimes Jessie found it really amazing how excited people could get from watching other people crack their skulls. It was the same with the selection of books, series, films, and robots. Unless at least one person died or the construct didn't at least have laser eyes, it wasn't interesting. At least that's how it seemed to her. Whenever video footage of serious accidents appeared in the news, Pam would get terribly upset that people would use their cell phones to point out the disaster instead of helping the injured and, in the process, hinder rescue workers. Like her mother, Jessie couldn't see how anyone could behave so irresponsibly. Once she was a doctor, she would be there whenever someone needed help, anytime, anywhere. Pam would want the same.

A scream tore Jess out of her thoughts: green liquid was seeping from the crack Brook had just cut into the cake. Slimy threads slowly ran down the lower floors until they dripped onto the floor, forming dark puddles.

Byron, the Master of Medicine, stepped forward, dipped his finger into the green liquid and held it under his nose. His brow furrowed as he looked up and announced with a serious expression, "This... is poison!"