Chapter 4 - Socket to ya!

"Wow, hardcore."

Jessie looked up in surprise. A boy and a girl stood above her. Both about twenty, but maybe older. Two faces stared back at her. One looked indifferent, somehow cold, and almost dead, while the other had such a wide psycho grin that the same panicked shiver that she had felt at Bibi's raised baseball bat immediately ran through Jessie's body.

"I hope that leaves a mark and she finally behaves better."

The grinning face grew a worried crease in its brow as it pulled Jess back to her feet. She didn't even notice that she had fallen. In general, it was only now that she seemed to remember how to stand, see, hear and, above all, think properly.

"Thank you," the girl mumbled embarrassedly into her red pigtails. "But who are you?"

"Travellers on a noble mission." "We want to accomplish noble things," came their answers. "Edgar, Bubble's big half-brother." "And I'm Colette! Very happy, Jessie!"

Edgar and Colette. Somehow like black and white. Not only because of the colour of their hair and style of clothing, but also internally, the two seemed to fully represent their respective colours.

"How do you know my name?" Jess asked, puzzled.

"Oh, I'm on the student council here and support the high school, especially in the management of the library. You get a lot of things there," replied Colette again with a creepy grinning cat face. "Like, for example, that certain people simply can't accept that other sexual orientations exist."

"I can only apologize for my half-sister's behaviour," Edgar added. "Bubbles doesn't want to understand that there is more than black and white."

Wow, the right person said that. Almost everything about the older boy was dark and in the gothic punk style, only his enormously large scarf stood out from his appearance, and it was striped in black and white. Colette was pretty much the opposite appearance. Light jeans, light blue hoodie, pale skin, and white hair. Dark and light. Black and white.

The school bells rang again to signal that the five-minute break between classes was over. Jessie had to hurry because math was known to be one of the subjects that was never cancelled. Teacher conference or not! And a math teacher who didn't assign homework and excused latecomers could practically be equated with the tooth fairy or unicorns. People would never know if they really existed.

"I have to go! And thank you for..." saving me from a crazy woman who has hated me since she first saw me and whose anger towards me has apparently doubled now that she thinks I like girls!

What was actually the reason for that? Bibi was known for bullying students, but it had always seemed to the redhead that the baseball player had a particular grudge against her. But why?

"No thing. "I just still can't believe that I still have to reprimand her." Edgar sighed and turned to leave.

"Oh, and Jessie," Colette stopped the redhead, who was also about to sprint to the classroom: "Let me know if something worthy of fan fiction comes up here, now that you've come out! I'm a passionate skipper and always open to new stories!"

Something fanfiction worthy?! Jessie was happy when she finally got through this never-ending school day. Heal as much as possible, if possible. Luckily, after the math lesson it was finally the end of the day, and she could go home.

At least that's what she thought.

***

The girl stood there, stunned, staring at her bike. Someone had stabbed her several times, slashed her tires, and then hit the entire vehicle with a furious blow. Probably with a baseball bat, so dented as the poor thing was now crouched in his bike stand, looking pretty worn out.