Chapter 3 - Time to get constructive.

Actually, the teachers' conference was supposed to last a maximum of sixty minutes, as was usual at the high school, but apparently there were still several important details to be discussed this time, so the rest of the day for the students more or less consisted of free periods, supplementary classes and a few subjects, which the teacher responsible for it actually taught.

Although she tried her hardest in all subjects, Jessie enjoyed days like these because the free periods gave her enough time to tinker with her machines in the workshop. She rarely did it because she wanted to concentrate more on the sciences and humanities, but when there was so much free time in the day, it would be a shame not to use it.

Jess enjoyed constructing more than anything else. From sketching the construction plan, to calculating the different lengths and heights, the surface, and the volume, to cutting the individual pieces to assembling the finished product. Every single step filled her heart with pure contentment. The oil-smeared hands, the shiny wrench in her hand, the beads of sweat on her forehead and the regular hum of the drill. Technology was a miracle!

The most beautiful moment was the moment in which the specially laid circuit was activated, and the energy of the machine or robot was released for the first time. The excited tingling under the skin as to whether the construction would actually work, the tense breath just before the lever was turned, the scream of joy crowned with success when something actually worked right away and the relaxed giggle when that wasn't the case, Machines usually did something completely different than what was originally planned, no matter how well Pam and Jessie calculated and thought things through.

The electrically operated coffee serving arm that the two of them had thought up some time ago simply poured coffee onto everything instead of serving it politely in cups. However, the idea for a bartender robot arose, which later became a competent brawler thanks to this peculiarity.

Jessie still remembered her first robot well. His name was Scrappy, and he was a mix between a cute puppy and a deadly shooting guard. One day she would be a doctor and win one brawler game after another alongside her mom. Scrappy was her super skill and she was still working on her weapon.

Humming, she experimented with a screwdriver and pliers, bent over her work. She wanted to make electricity release itself in the form of energy balls to jump from opponent to opponent. Nita, the little sister of the popular boy Leon, used the power of nature spirits to release energy and create shock balls. Jessie had been fascinated by this art since she was a child. The young designer was firmly convinced that something like this was possible using technology. Belle Starr, master marksman, former lecturer, and current archenemy of Star Park, was also able to attack victims with electric waves or something similar.

Jessie had often been disappointed that the weapon she wanted was not at all like that of a brawler who wanted to become a doctor. That she was even a Brawler even though she was supposed to be studying medicine. After all, her mother's super was a work kit with healing powers. But then she thought again that it wouldn't be of much use if she also had a healing power as a super, since she wanted to brawl with her mom.

In the past, the individual brawler stands were strictly separated. It got to the point where legendary brawlers weren't allowed to be on a team with mystical ones. At that time there were violent protests that took place brawler-style with corresponding fights. Eventually, the class of chromatic brawlers was created as a sign that someone could be assigned to multiple categories, and from then on, all brawlers, past and future, were allowed to play with any brawler they wanted to play with. Regardless of its assignment. And Jessie really wanted to play with her mother, so it wouldn't do much good if she developed a healing power as well, when they already had Pam's healing box.

No, she had to be of use to her mom. And her stun gun would be useful! Right?

***

Once again it was thanks to the school bells that Jess didn't completely sink into her world of construction and mechanics. She quickly gathered her things and made her way back to her classroom when she was suddenly stopped.

Bibi!

And again, she was leaning against the exact same wall!

Lost in thought, the troublemaker, Mr. Bad, brandished her infamous baseball bat as if she had nothing better to do at the moment, but somehow Jessie had a bad feeling that the bully had been waiting here especially for her.

And that couldn't mean anything good.

"Well, look at what pretty things we have here. "It's Little Miss Perfect, or should I say it was Little Miss Perfect, now that she's come out as a lesbian and thrown away the last bit of social dignity she had?"

Once again Jessie froze into stone, she wanted to say something back, but she couldn't open her mouth. She was neither quick-witted like Meg nor tough like Penny, she was nothing and not good at defence at all. She was a red bunny, too stupid to run away from the hungry fox.

"Oh, what is it? Did the little one become speechless?"

Again, that day Bibi pushed herself off the same wall and this time there was no Meg there to defend the bunny as the bully came towards her. When Bibi raised the baseball bat, sheer terror paralyzed the last bit of movement and stole the last bit of hope from Jessie's body. She was at the mercy of the devilish fox. She was alone.

"Hey Bubbles!"

Or maybe not?

***

The voice echoed through the hallway as Jessie was about to put her hands over her face to protect her.

"Don't always forget your lunch! And stop being so mean to your girlfriend!"

The bully turned around angrily and eyed whoever had just spoken.

"She's NOT my girlfriend," came her stroppy reply.

"Anyway, here's your bag. And does dad allow you to walk around school with your bat?"

"I'm seventeen and I'm in brawler class! Bringing weapons is permitted and even necessary for the training sessions! YOU should know that!"

"Don't be so strict with your brother. He's just joking! And don't stand there like a confused trophy figure, just put the bat down," someone laughed.

"Just leave me alone!" Bibi growled, snatched the bag out of the hand of the person who had previously spoken and, much to Jessie's relief, stalked down the hallway until she turned a sharp corner and was no longer visible. But you could hear her stomping footsteps, which continued to echo for several seconds after she had disappeared from Jessie's field of vision.