As Claudia and her father danced gracefully across the floor, a group of young men stood watching, their expressions a mix of emotions. Resembling both the Duke and the late Duchess, these were the first four sons of the Duke, each bearing their own unique demeanor.

Some of them stood stoically, their features reflecting a sense of solemnity and duty, while others wore expressions of discontent, their faces clouded with bitterness or resentment.

As they observed the tender moment between Claudia and their father, a range of emotions played out across their faces, reflecting the complexities of their relationship with both their sibling and their father.

After the enchanting dance with her father, Claudia felt a yearning to share another dance, this time with the Crown Prince. However, etiquette dictated that it wasn't proper for a lady to ask a gentleman for a dance, especially not a prince. Disheartened, Claudia scanned the room in search of her brothers, hoping to find a familiar face to accompany her for the second dance.

To her dismay, her brothers were nowhere to be seen, except for the twins, who seemed preoccupied and oblivious to her silent plea. Claudia's heart sank as she realized she would have to wait for someone to extend an invitation to her, resigning herself to mingling with other guests until then.

As Claudia navigated through the crowd, a lady approached her, her demeanor brimming with excitement. "Well, seems like there will be another good news soon," she remarked, her eyes alight with curiosity.

Claudia turned to face the newcomer, recognizing her as Lady Isabella, daughter of Marquess Ferdinand. "Good news?" Claudia inquired, her interest piqued by Lady Isabella's cryptic words.

Lady Isabella nodded eagerly, leaning in closer to Claudia. "Yes, my dear. The way the Prince looked at you," she continued, her voice barely above a whisper as if sharing a scandalous secret.

Before Claudia could respond, another lady chimed in, joining the conversation. "Indeed, it was quite the sight," she remarked, her tone tinged with a hint of mischief.

Soon, a group of ladies surrounded Claudia, their whispers swirling around her like a gentle breeze. "Soon to be crown princess, huh?" one of them mused, her eyes sparkling with speculation.

Claudia's cheeks flushed with embarrassment at the suggestion, and she tried to deflect the attention away from herself. "Oh no, how can I?" she exclaimed, her voice trembling as she feigned tears. "He is the fiancé of my sister."

"Ex-fiancé," someone in the group corrected, eliciting a chorus of gasps and murmurs from the assembled ladies.

"That attributeless girl is not worthy, and she is no longer," another voice added, the disdain evident in her tone.

"Please, don't," Claudia pleaded softly, her voice barely audible over the din of the crowd. Though she found herself enjoying the attention, she knew deep down that perpetuating rumors and gossip could have far-reaching consequences, not only for her family but also for her own integrity.

As the last strains of music faded into the night and the final guests bid their farewells, the party at the Duchy of Bellridge came to an end. The once bustling halls now fell silent, the echoes of laughter and conversation replaced by a serene stillness.

As Claudia and her mother made their way to her room, the echoes of the lively celebration still lingering in the air, Claudia couldn't shake the feeling of disappointment that weighed heavily on her heart.

"Sweet dreams, child," her mother murmured softly, her voice filled with maternal warmth as she bid Claudia goodnight.

Claudia managed a faint smile in response, but her mother's words only served to deepen the ache of longing within her. She longed for the chance to capture the Crown Prince's heart.

"Don't be sad, my dear," her mother said gently, sensing Claudia's inner turmoil. "You have another chance in five days to capture his heart."

Claudia's heart skipped a beat at her mother's words, a glimmer of hope flickering to life within her. The prospect of the upcoming celebration at the Royal Palace filled her with a renewed sense of determination, reminding her that blessings were indeed rare and opportunities should not be squandered.

Indeed, the second party promised to be an even grander affair, with foreign dignitaries in attendance and the possibility of new alliances and connections to be forged. Claudia knew that she would have to seize this opportunity with both hands, to charm and captivate the Crown Prince with all the grace and elegance befitting a lady of her station.

■ Like & comment

▪︎1972▪︎

To be continued...