chapter 4

Aristide's POV

In response to Marquess Islerus's request, I find myself in Islerus to investigate the peculiar occurrences reported in the border mountains. The Marquess mentioned unusual noises that have stirred concern among his people, prompting the need for a closer examination.

For this task, I've brought along my most trusted companion, Hugo. Our journey has kept us away from home for a span of five months. Upon our arrival in Islerus, I delegated the task to Hugo to gather additional information and rumors about the mysterious disturbances. The initial details provided by the Marquess were scant, necessitating a more thorough inquiry.

The mysterious sounds seemed to originate from the deepest part of the mountain. The following day, accompanied by a few of my knights, we ascended the mountain, taking precautions in case magical beasts were the source. To our surprise, upon reaching the top, we discovered it wasn't a cause for worry. In the middle of one of the mountains, a hole had been created, likely by some magical force, perhaps a beast.

Strangely, there was no sign of the creature anywhere nearby. The mountains revealed an ocean behind them, and it dawned on us that the crashing waves, passing through the hole, amplified the sound, making it audible throughout the entire land.

With our mission completed, we awaited departure in two days. Hugo proposed exploring the area while passing the time for our airship's arrival.

He recommended a charming downtown cafe, modest in appearance yet surprisingly roomy inside. Opting for a window seat, Hugo handled the orders, given my lack of proficiency in this domain. However, there was someone well-versed in this regard - a connoisseur of sweets, particularly cakes - my younger sister, Acacia.

Regret clung to me like a shadow when it came to my relationship with Acacia. None of us, her brothers, could openly express our affection for her due to the threat of punishment. Our love for her lingered in silent gestures and hidden support.

On her 12th birthday, a day meant for celebration, she faced the cruel fate of being thrown out, destined for our mother's house. However, tragedy struck her carriage, an unfortunate accident that unfolded in my absence. Julian and the twins, the only ones present, witnessed the heartbreaking turn of events.

The news of Acacia's unfortunate fate struck me like a thunderbolt, propelling me to rush home. In my distress, I confronted Julian, demanding to know why he hadn't intervened to prevent our father's cruel decision. His response echoed in the air, a bitter truth laden with a painful choice.

"Isn't it better for her to live there than here?"
Julian reasoned, unveiling the harsh reality that perhaps exile was a preferable fate for Acacia.

The aftermath left our home clouded with tension, and in an attempt to escape the haunting memories, my brothers and I found solace in the pretext of various errands, staying away for days at a stretch.

Amidst my thoughts and memories, Hugo's voice cut through, signaling the arrival of our order. However, his intention to discuss something more lingered in the air, shrouded in anticipation.

What did you wish to discuss?" I asked him.

"It pertains to your sister," he responded cryptically.

"Cia?" I asked.

"No, not Cia. We're talking about Claudia," he clarified, drawing attention back to the matter at hand.

"And what of her?"

"It appears you're disinterested in the affairs of your own household," he provocatively remarked.