23

• AMALIA •

When I wake up, I'm alone again. Well, technically I'm not, because my husband is still sound asleep and Enzo is too.

I tilt my head and sit up, groaning quietly from the pain it brings to my stomach.

     My husband stirs, and I watch him as he opens grey-ish eyes. He looks around the room, and when his striking gaze lands on me he smiles.

     "Hi, Amalia."

     "Hi."

     "I'm—"

     "I know who you are."

     "You remember?"

     "No." I whisper. He frowns. "Mason told me."

     "Oh." He responds. "How are you feeling?"

     I shrug.

     "Do you need anything?" He asks, standing. He's tall, so much so that I have to tilt my head up to look at him. I shake my head. "Sorry I was asleep for so long."

     "That's okay." I whisper.

     "Your dad went to get Enzo some food. I'm not sure where your brothers went."

     "When did we get married?"

     He's startled by the change of subject, but he says calmly, "a couple months ago."

     "What was it like?"

     "It was in Vegas. It happened quickly, while we were drunk."

     "Oh." I whisper. I had pictured a big, classy wedding and a massive dress, with pretty music and fabulous food.

     I look at Archer again. He really is handsome. I bite my bottom lip between my teeth nervously. He runs a hand through his hair, the muscles in his shirt popping. I smile. "I like your hair."

     He smirks. "Thanks. I like yours too."

     "You have nice lips, too."

     He laughs. I smile at the sound.

     The door opens, and Mason walks inside again. He smiles at me. "Hey, you're awake."

     "Yeah." I whisper. "So is Archer."

     "I see that." He says. He glances at him, and I frown, suddenly, strangely, protective over this man I have no memory of.

"He's my husband." I say.

"I know." He responds. "How are you feeling?"

     "Fine. Archer already asked me that." I whisper.

     "Right." He mumbles uncomfortably. "Dad will be back soon. They said we'd be able to take you home tomorrow afternoon."

     I look down at Enzo. He's sleeping peacefully. I carefully move his blonde curls out of his eyes, then lean down to kiss his cheek. He slowly opens his eyes, and I smile down at him.