1

• AMALIA •

ME: Is Enzo okay?

     DAD: I'm fine [grinning emoji]

     I roll my eyes; he's been telling that joke ever since I adopted my son and named him after my favourite person—my dad.

DAD: He's fine, sweetheart. Have fun and don't worry about anything.

ME: Okay. Text me if something happens.

DAD: I will. Love you.

ME: Love you too.

"Amalia!" Mia shouts over the music booming throughout the entire nightclub. She's holding onto the sash wrapped around her shoulders, falling by her hip, that says BRIDE TO BE!

     She's marrying Ezra, her high school sweetheart, and I don't think I could be happier for her even if I tried my best. Her older sister (Niamh) is her maid of honour, and Edie and I and two of cousins are her bridesmaids. I don't know who Ezra chose for his groomsmen. I probably should, since I've been helping my best friend plan the whole ceremony, but lately I've become forgetful.

     "Come on, Ezra got a booth upstairs!" She latches onto my hand and pulls me through the crowds of people. When we get to the quieter, mostly empty stairs, I let out a sigh of relief and loosen my grip on Mia's hand.

     We get to the booth at the end of the hallway, which is more closed off than the others. Mia slides in, sitting beside her fiancé and kissing him on the lips. I smile, getting in beside her, but pause when I look up.

     And meet a familiar, safe face.

     Archer King and I lock eyes, and my mouth parts in a small, startled and surprised gasp. I take in his face—the similarities and the differences there from when we were teenagers, and nostalgia hits me like a level three tsunami.

His muscled arms pop out of his shirt, allowing me to see the outline of his biceps. His chiseled features are sharper, more guarded. His face is cleanly shaved, and I can smell the faint scent of the aftershave he used to wear, and seemingly still does.

I force myself to meet his gaze again, my heart aching when I do. Recognition, surprise and something else I can't name flashes through his devastating eyes.

"Amalia." He whispers, my name breathless on his tongue.

Our interaction draws the attention of Ezra, who glances between us. He clears his throat before saying, "I went to one of Archers boxing matches a few months ago and we caught up afterwards, so I invited him."

"That's.. great." I say so quietly I'm not sure anybody even hears me.

"What the fuck is up?" Edie shouts happily as she slides into the booth beside me. Oliver sits across from her, next to Archer, and by the way neither of them are surprised to see him I realise that everybody knew he'd be here, besides me. Why didn't they just tell me?

Oliver leans his head back as he chugs a bottle of vodka, and Edie laughs at him. Conversation bustles around me, but I feel like if I try to talk I'll cry. But I don't want to ruin Mia's night, so I smile along and laugh when everybody else does, not looking at Archer again, although I feel his gaze burning a hole in the side of my face.