9

• AMALIA •

Everything happens so quickly. I'm on the edge of my seat as I watch Archer fight. It's like a car crash; I want to look away but no matter how hard I try I'm unable to rip my eyes away from it.

     He dodges most of the punches, but still gets hit a few times, mainly on the left side of his face. Meanwhile, Archer lands the majority of his hits, unbothered by the pain I know is spreading through his face.

     There's a break, and Archer sits on a small chair in the corner of the boxing rink. I watch him as he drinks water, leaning his head back on the ropes.

     I frown when he has to get back up again. He looks tired.

     He goes to hit the other man across the face, but he grabs his hand and uses Archers moment of distraction to his advantage and hits him across the jaw.

     A small gasp escapes my lips.

     I close my eyes, then reopen them, finding that the match is over.

     I let out a small breath of relief, then watch as they're both brought to the centre of the rink. I bite my bottom lip nervously as his eyes find me again. He smiles at me.

"And your winner.." the man between them begins, "Archer King!"

     Another round of deafening cheers fill the arena, and despite my worry I smile too. I lean back and put my head in my hands.

     He won.

Archer meets me in the lobby. He grins widely as he walks over to me, and he still is when I shove his chest.

     "What?" He laughs.

     "What's wrong with you?" I ask. "Why would you professionally get beaten up?"

"I got punched a few times—"

"Look at your eye!" I shout, going on my tip toes to grab his face. I turn it, looking at his black eye and the bruises up and down the right side of his face. "Jesus, Archer!"

"I'm fine." He says, his voice softening.

"How can you do that?" I ask.

"Amalia."

"What if something really bad happened?" I ask. "What if you died?"

"Amalia." He repeats.

"You could get seriously hurt, Archer!"

"It's okay," he whispers, setting his hand on my shoulder and pulling me to him. He wraps his strong arms around me in a warm embrace, setting his palm on the back of my head. He plants a small kiss in my hair. "I'm fine, princess. I promise you."

He holds me there for a minute or two before I pull away. He smiles at me.

"Come on, let's go back." He says gently. He slips his hand down to mine and holds it, pulling me out the doors. We rush past the cameras and into the awaiting car.