22

• AMALIA •

I wake up again in what I assume is early morning, because it's getting light outside and still no one is awake.

     I look at Enzo for a while, watch him curled up beside my.. my father. The thought makes my head ache and I look away, my eyes falling onto Archer.

     He really is gorgeous. He's mesmerising, even. He's moved from where he was last night. He's taken his hoodie off, revealing muscular arms that pop out of the black shirt he's wearing. I can see his abs through it, too. Veins run down his arms, and for a moment they tense as he moves again, becoming more prominent. I watch the movement like a hawk.

     Frankie wasn't very muscular. He wasn't skin and bones. He was strong. But I don't think I ever saw a muscle on him. But this man (my real husband, apparently) is burly. If he did what Frankie did to me, he could succeed in killing me.

I look away from him, returning my gaze to Mason. I find him awake, and it sends a wave of surprise through me.

He smiles. "How are you feeling?"

"I don't think they gave me enough pain relief."

"I'll talk to the next doctor that comes in for you."

I yawn.

"Go back to sleep. It's still early."

The door opens, and my head snaps over to the door. I relax a little when I see that it's a doctor. She smiles at me. "Hey. I'm here to change your bandage.

"She's still in pain. Could you give her more medicine?" Mason asks her.

"Your dad asked we keep it at a certain amount. Anything higher is a lot more addictive." She tells him.

I frown.

     "Sorry, honey." She says to me. "I'm gonna pull your gown up so I'm able to change your bandage. Alright?"

     "Can you untie me?" I ask. My voice begins to tremble, "please? I—I won't try leave again. I'm sorry. I was.. afraid."

     "We'll wait until midday." She tells me. She pulls the thin quilt covering me down, then my gown. I look away as she takes the bandage, covered in blood, off, and replaces it with a new one. "There you go." She says, smiling. "Breakfast will be around soon."

     "How am I supposed to eat it?"

     "I'll help you." Mason offers.

I don't say anything.

The doctor smiles before leaving.

I pretend to fall asleep, because it's clear Mason wants to but feels bad doing it so long as I'm awake.

When I hear him snoring quietly, I sit up and try to wrangle my wrists from the restraints again.

The longer I'm unable to, the more frustrated and trapped I feel. I let out a small sob as I rub my wrists and ankles raw.

"Amalia." My father is awake now. I ignore his deep, calm voice and continue to squirm. "Amalia, baby, calm down."

"Get these off of me!" I exclaim.

"Okay, okay." He says gently. He picks Enzo up gently, setting him on my brother Cole's lap. He leans over and slowly unties my left wrist, then the right one. I rub them, exhaling a breath of relief as he unties my ankles. "There," he whispers, "is that better?"