11

• AMALIA •

Archer and I are alone again after we eat. My brothers leave, Alexandra goes to her bedroom, Enzo asks to play in his room.

I took the necklace off, wanting to preserve and save it for special events. It's too glamorous to be worn every day.

"Do you wanna watch a movie?" I ask.

     He looks over at me and smiles. "Sure."

     I stand and grab the remote, then sit closer to him. He looks over at me, and I grab the blanket off the back of the couch before carefully laying it over us. His arm slips around my shoulders and he looks down at me, an emotion I can't quite place shining in his grey eyes.

"What movie?"

"Any. I don't mind."

"Okay." I whisper. I turn the TV on and play a random movie. Slowly, I tuck myself into Archers side. His other arm comes to enclose around me before he turns us down we're sideways on the couch. I'm between his legs with my back leaning against his toned chest.

     "Ally wants to go to the park tomorrow." He says. "Do you and Enzo want to come?"

     "I have to open the shop." I whisper.

     "Oh. I can still take Enzo, if you'd like."

     "Really?" I look up at him. He nods. I smile, and his lips begin to tilt upwards at the sight. "Thank you."

     "You don't have to thank me." He says softly. He plants a kiss in my hair, and I lean into him, finding that my shoulders relax upon contact and a certain calmness takes over me.

The next day, I'm putting Enzo's coat on for him, then smoothing out his blonde curls before kissing his little cheek. He giggles. "I'll see you later, baby. I love you."

"I love you too mama." He says. "Moon and back!"

"I love you around the whole universe a gazillion times." I tell him.

He gasps. I laugh. He begins giggling again.

I lift him up into the stroller, strapping him in, before standing. Archer comes up behind me and kisses my cheek. "You're sure your dad is on his way?"

     "Yeah, when I called him he was in the car." I lie. He thinks my dad is coming to keep an eye on me but he isn't. I need time alone, and I have to become more independent again. I can't let my dad coerce me into resting and potentially lose some business.

     "Alright." He says. "Bye."

     "Bye." Ally walks past us, "bye, Ally."

     "Bye!" She exclaims excitedly.

They walk out of the shop door, and I round the counter, sitting by the till. I lean back in my chair and exhale a small, calm breath.

A few customers come in before I decide to eat the lunch I brought down with me. I open the plastic tub and grab my fork, beginning to eat. I take a few sips of my water and look up when the bell dings, signalling that there's a customer.

I pause, horror overtaking me.

"Frankie." I say, forcing my voice not to shake.

Slowly, he smiles. He looks different, but also the same. Eerily so. Memories begin to come back to me but I force them away as I stand.