6

• AMALIA •

I wake up. I look up, surprise overtaking me when I see Archer laying on top of me. He has his arms wrapped around my neck and his head resting in the crook of my neck.

I begin to feel nostalgic, but push those memories away quickly.

"Archer." I whisper.

"Hmm?"

"You're crushing me."

He smiles.

"Archer." I say again.

"Yeah, princess?" He mumbles.

     "You're gonna break all my bones."

     "That's too bad." He whispers.

     I sigh. "Archer."

"What?" He grumbles. "I'm trying to sleep."

"You're heavy."

"Mhm."

I roll my eyes. "How would you feel if I was using you as a mattress?"

     He flips me over suddenly, so I'm laying on top of him. "I don't mind." He whispers, eyes still closed. I laugh and roll off of him.

     He rolls his head to the side to look at me before sitting up. He climbs out the bed. "I'm gonna go check on Ally."

     "Okay." I reply, smiling. I follow him out my bedroom, heading the opposite way toward Enzo's room. I open the door, finding him asleep in his bed. I walk over and rub his little back until he wakes up.

     "Mama." He whispers. I lift him up and wrap the blanket around him. I kiss his cheek, and he snuggles into me. "Mama. Mama."

     "Hm?"

     "Rice Krispies." He mumbles.

     I laugh. "Alright, baby. Let's get you some breakfast."

     He nods, resting his head in the crook of my neck. I bounce him lightly as I walk into the kitchen, keeping him on my hip while I make him some cereal. When it's done, I set him in his high chair and put it in front of him.

     "Do you want me to help you, baby?" I ask him.

     "No." He says.

     "Okay." I squeeze his shoulder before making a cup of tea. I sit down to drink it.

     Archer walks in, a sleepy Alexandra walking in behind him. She rubs her eyes and scowls when Archer pulls her forward. "Say hi, Ally."

     "Hi." She mumbles, itching at her eyes. "Ow."

     I smile. "Hi. How'd you sleep?"

     She shrugs. "Can't remember. I wasn't conscious."

     Archer rolls his eyes.

     "Can I use the toilet now?" Ally grumbles.

     Archer sighs. "Yeah. Go." She walks out hastily, and I frown. "She doesn't remember." He tells me when she's gone.

     I laugh. "Yeah, I guessed."

     "No, like, she doesn't remember anything before the age of seven." He tells me. "Some therapist said it was because she was.. traumatised, I guess."

     My heart pangs as realisation hits me. "Oh."

     "She'll be out of her mood soon. She's just tired."