13

• AMALIA •

Later that day, after we eat dinner, my dad walks into the living room, where Enzo and I are sitting, watching one of his shows.

     Enzo giggles as soon as he sees him and climbs onto his lap, grinning from ear to ear. I smile as my dad wraps his arms around him, kissing his cheek.

     He looks over at me. "What time does he have to be in school tomorrow?"

     I frown. He goes back to nursery tomorrow. I want him to stay with me. "Half nine." I say.

     "Okay." He responds. "I'll take him."

"Okay." I whisper, suddenly having an overwhelming feel of uselessness. I wrap my arms around myself and lean back, focusing on the TV. My phone dings with a message, and I look down at it.

ARCHER: We'll be back soon.

ME: Okay. :)

ARCHER: How are you feeling?

ME: Fine. Just a little tired. I might be asleep by the time you get back.

ARCHER: Okay. Goodnight, then.

ME: Goodnight. [love heart emoji x2]

"I wanna talk to you." My dad says.

"What about?" I ask as I shove my phone into my hoodie pocket.

"You and Archer. When are you getting your divorce?" He asks me.

I look over at him. I have the urge to tell him everything, but I don't. "We haven't really talked about it yet." I say quietly.

"Oh." He responds. "Do you want me to look into it for you?"

     "No. It's okay." I tell him. "We can do it."

     "Alright." He says. He leans back and looks down at Enzo as he grips onto his hand. He smiles. "I like it when you both stay with me."

     "Me too." I say. "Enzo likes being here."

     Hearing his name, he looks up at me and giggles. He stands, balancing on my dad's legs, and wraps his arms around his neck, hanging onto him like a koala on a tree. I laugh.

     "I'm gonna go to bed." I say softly. "Enzo, come on."

     "I can put him down if you want, baby."

     "Oh, okay." I whisper. "Thanks."

     I lean over and kiss Enzo's cheek, then hug my dad goodnight before slowly going to my room. When I get there, I exhale a pained breath and sit down on the bed, turning to lay down.

     I get my phone out and turn on an alarm for half eight so I have time to make Enzo a special breakfast before he goes to nursery.

     I put it on charge and go to sleep.