7

• ARCHER •

While Amalia's family comes to see her, I take Alexandra out to get groceries for Amalia, wanting to give them some privacy.

Ally sulks the entire drive there. I try to talk to her, but she responds with one word answers.

I pass my little sister a pound. "Go get a trolley."

"You go get a trolley." She replies, crossing her arms and not looking at me.

I sigh, walk over to the enclosed space where the trolleys sit. I shove a pound into one and pull it out, then return to Ally.

"Come on." I say. She rolls her eyes as she follows me into the shop. We get to the first aisle and I put some stuff in the trolley. "If you see anything you want, tell me."

"I want to go home!"

"Ally." I sigh. "We're staying here for a little bit. You'll go to school here temporarily."

"I actually hate you." She replies. "I hope you know that."

I frown, her words like a shot to the heart. I look away and put something else into the trolley.

When we get back, it's just Grayson left. I smile at him as I carry the bags in, then go into the kitchen. I unpack everything into the fridge and cupboards. When I turn around, Ally is standing there.

"You okay?"

"Fuck off." She says.

My eyebrows raise in surprise. "What have I told you about swearing?"

She glares. "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck, fuck, fuck, fucker, fucking, fucking fucker fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck-a-doodle-fucking-doo!"

"Ally!"

She gives me the finger before rushing out. A few seconds later I hear her bedroom door closed.

"Well, fuck."

I snap my head over to Amalia, standing in the doorway of the kitchen. Tiredness laces her features, but amusement crinkles the corners of her eyes.

"Hey," I say softly. "You okay?"

She smiles. "I'm fine. I hope my family didn't annoy you too much."

I smile too. "No." I whisper. I'm about to say something else when Grayson comes up behind her.

He kisses her cheek. "I need to get going. I'll see you soon, okay?"

Amalia doesn't meet his eye as she nods. Concern flickers through me as Grayson walks away, then leaves.

"Are you sure you're okay, princess?"

"Of course." She responds. "I'm gonna watch some TV with Enzo."

"Alright." I reply gently. She goes into the living room.