☽ 35 ☾

Harvey and I sit together on the staircase as we wait for Marianne, Liam, Kieran, and Alo. I sit on Harvey's lap and write everything I need to say on a pad of paper, starting with Jane's vengeful ambush, leading to my encounter with the shapeshifter, and finally concluding with our run-in.

I then explain in more detail how I know the vampire, Jane — who's also the Society's newest member. Harvey promptly recalls Dianne mentioning Jane earlier when we went out for dinner.

"Gladstone's pack assumed there was only one vampire," he mutters, sounding disappointed in himself. He's been a bundle of sighs, curses, and headaches since I began recounting the night's events. "I should have investigated it myself instead of blindly trusting them. Damn it."

You can't blame yourself for

Harvey grabs my right hand, causing my pen to streak off the line and halt. After a tense moment, he lets go. "I'm sorry."

Both Marianne and the boys take longer to arrive than I hoped, so I ask questions to distract Harvey and to keep myself from slipping into the undertow of racing thoughts. My head is a repetitive racket of: please let Harper be okay, please let Harper be alive.

He reads my sideways writing, answering as though I'm speaking out loud.

How did she do this to me?

"Mind compulsion, one of a vampire's most dangerous abilities. They're only able to compel humans, so I'm sure she was thrilled to find out you are one."

What if Marianne can't—

"She will, Mia," he interrupts and tucks my hair behind my ear, letting his fingertips linger down my neck. "Marianne has dealt with it before. All you need is the smoke of her smudge stick."

Like sage?

"And some other things."

Do

I pause writing. Though I've almost stopped shaking, a tremor rakes down my arms.

Do you think Harper's okay?

"I think so. I don't think Jane would linger, not with Alo, Liam, and Kieran nearby."

The point of my pen rests against the pad of paper. Harvey caresses my jaw and lifts my chin to look at him. Instantaneously, I remember what Jane said about him and a woman from Gladstone, sandwiched between her choking me and casting me off to my death. I face away.

That's a conversation I'd rather have once my voice is restored, but Harvey can't seem to ignore my subtle denial. He turns my chin again, his fingers grasping a little harder. I stare right into his eyes because I don't know what else he wants from me when my voice has been magically suppressed.

His eyes shift to the paper as though he knows I'm keeping something from him.

Headlights beam through the yellow-paned windows framing the front doors. We shoot up at once and rush for the doors; Harvey pulls one open while I slip outside.

The passenger door to Harvey's truck opens before the vehicle parks. Liam leaps out half-dressed and jerks the smaller backseat door open where Kieran almost tumbles out backward. Together, Harvey and I run towards the car. If I could speak, I'd be shouting, "Is she okay?"

Though my question is soon answered. Kieran and Liam drag Harper's limp body off of the seats and out the door. I trip over my feet, but Harvey catches me by my arm. Like a magnet, I cling to him, hiding my face in his shoulder and erupting with silent sobs.