☽ 33 ☾

It takes all my effort to hold still as we roll along the stretch of gravel road leading to Norwood House. Both excitement and anxiety surge in my chest, dinging against my heart and throttling into my stomach, more powerful when combined. I know there's no need to feel this way — I want to be alone with Harvey and to take the next step in our relationship like any typical couple — but my body thinks otherwise.

Sometimes I understand my sense of unease; anxiety is something I've dealt with for as long as I can remember. But tonight I do not understand. Really, it's making me quite frustrated.

I wish I could feel excited without the added panic.

We park in front of the house next to my car. Harvey kills the engine, smiles at me, and proceeds to get out of his truck. The second his door shuts, I use my brief seclusion to breathe in deeply, desperate to calm myself. Harvey peers at me through the windshield from the front of the truck once he notices I haven't moved. He comes to my side and pops open my door.

"Have you changed your mind?" He teases, referring to my protesting his chivalrous treatment when it comes to doors.

Before I utter a confirmation or some other excuse, a figure walking along the house catches my attention. "Is that Alo?" I ask and point.

Harvey follows the guide of my finger. "Yeah. I'm guessing he wants to talk."

"I'll wait here," I say, wanting more time to catch my breath.

Harvey looks back at me. "You sure? I can let you inside."

Something about the confined space of the truck is comforting. Though having the door open has stolen almost all the warmth from the vents being on a minute ago, I nod.

"Yeah, go on."

Harvey shuts my door and I take another large breath through my nose. The car doors lock simultaneously — Harvey's being cautious with the vampire around, I'm sure.

I sink a bit in my seat and watch as Harvey approaches Alo who's loitering by the porch steps and only wearing shorts. My gaze trickles down Harvey's perfect body, and then I groan.

"Come on, Mia. Just be normal," I mutter to myself. "Please?"

Whatever Alo needs to see Harvey about doesn't seem urgent. They talk back and forth, neither looking angry or upset — well, Alo, as usual, has a sourness to his face. His brows are permanently pinched together, and his jaw muscles are always flexed. Not to mention, he stands there with his arms crossed, statuesque. Harvey's more fluid. He adjusts his footing, places his hands on his hips, and even gives a sarcastic-looking laugh as though Alo's said something far-fetched.

My heartbeat slows as I watch them, but my nerves shoot up when my phone starts to buzz in my pocket, wiping away any trace of peace. I lift my butt and reach for it only to see Harper's calling again.

She only calls when she needs a fast answer.

"Hello?" I say, my phone to my ear.

"I need you to pick me up," she says, sounding tired.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

"Can you just get me?" Her voice wavers and I realize she's trying to hide that she's crying. "It's cold."

"Where are you?" I ask without a second thought.

"I'm walking on the side of the road. Along Deerbourne, I think."

I reach for my door handle, but I'm reminded instantly of how Harvey locked me in. "Uh, okay, just give me a few minutes — I'll be right there."

Harper hangs up. I drop my hand holding my phone and wave at Harvey. He doesn't see me. I look around the car and lean to honk the horn as lightly as possible so as not to startle them. The horn lets out on powdery honk, and Harvey turns. He holds a hand up in Alo's direction before heading my way.