☽ 6 ☾

"Whipped cream?"

I grab a new bag of expresso beans and begin pouring it into the top compartment of the hefty expresso machine that sits on the counter behind the pastry display and register.

"Excuse me, I asked for whipped cream."

I turn and see the young woman I just handed a drink to. She gives me an apologetic smile. I gasp a little and pause to say, "Oh, sorry, my bad. Let me get that for you."

I set the expresso beans down and take the pumpkin latte from her, popping off the lid and foaming a large dollop of whipped cream on the top even though I know she requested no such thing. I switch the lid for a domed lid and give it back. She inspects the latte quickly before taking a straw and saying, "Thanks."

She walks out of the café doors, and the room is calm again. Two people sit near the fireplace while a guy works on his laptop at one of the small tables against the windows. Weekday afternoons have much-needed lulls, but some days it feels like everyone in town gets their coffee here.

My phone buzzes in my apron. Since no customers are at the counter, I take it out and check the screen: a text from an unknown number. I unlock my phone to read it.

Hi, Mia, it's Abby. I've been thinking about you and what you said when you came over. Are you free at all today? I'd like to talk some more.

I read the message twice and then glance around the café at the customers still preoccupied. I respond: I go on break in an hour. If you want to stop by Blue Moon, we can talk here.

Abby promptly replies, agreeing. Kiki should get here soon to help with the after-work rush, and she'll take over while I'm on break. Usually, I make myself a drink, grab a snack, and hang out in the small back room during my breaks, but excitement starts to bud in my chest at the thought of Abby coming here.

She's been thinking about me. That's good. Maybe it means she wants to tell me what caused her to pull away years ago.

I tidy up behind the counter and serve the few customers who mosey in before Kiki arrives. She comes through the back door, strips off her coat in exchange for an apron, ties up her black hair, and washes her hands before joining me.

"How's it been?" She asks.

"Not too busy. Should pick up in a bit after my break. How come Taryn switched you with Beck?"

"I have a thing tomorrow, so now I have to drive to Rochester."

"A good thing?"

Kiki shrugs. "My boyfriend is moving there. We were supposed to go next week, but he has to go earlier now, so I'm helping him to finish packing, and then we're driving together. He got a good job offer so..."

"That's far. Like five hours, right?"

"Almost. It sucks, but hopefully, I'll be moving there too. He says he wants me to move in with him once he's settled."

"Oh? Settled?" I question.

"I don't know what it means, but I'm hopeful it'll be sooner rather than later. I've been saving up to go somewhere, I just didn't know where. Rochester, living with him; it seems like a good place to go."

"I'm sure it'll work out."

"Either he sends for me and my shit or cuts things off now that we'd be hundreds of miles apart."

I make a remorseful face. "Oh, no, he wouldn't do that, not after everything you've done for him."

"You'd be surprised at how shitty guys can be these days," she says, grabs a clean rag, and starts lazily wiping the toaster oven.