☽ 13 ☾

Gravel grinds against my car tires as I turn off Audrey Way and onto Norwood House property. My grip on the wheel hardens, and my knuckles turn white, but no amount of squeezing can lessen the feeling I get in my gut when I see Harvey outside. At the top of the gravel driveway is an electric saw and long planks of wood, the type used for flooring.

Harvey stops what he's doing and wipes off his hands at the sight of my car. He has no jacket on despite the chill, but Abby's told me werewolves don't succumb to the cold like humans; they're always warm. I step on the brakes and put the car into park, feeling an itch in my throat — a doubt. A slow, shaky breath pushes out my nose, and then I unbuckle my seatbelt and pop open my door.

Harvey walks to the car, but his steps let up once I face him.

"I talked to Abby," I say, not bothering to shut the car door. Instead, I stand behind it like a shield. "She told me about mates."

"Okay." Harvey glances left, toward the mountains, and his eyes settle on me.

"She said every werewolf has a soulmate — that you found yours." My lip quivers, so I press them together and stuff my hands in my pockets. "Why would you... You made me think you were interested in me, and you kissed me back in the bathroom, but you have a soulmate, so why would you do any of it? A-Abby tried to warn me, but I didn't listen. I'm sure you silenced her about that too since you're the Alpha — assuming that works like normal wolf packs — so she had to hint and hint at it but thank God she finally just told me."

"Mia—"

"What was the point? To lead me on?"

He comes closer. "No."

"Then why—"

"You're my mate, Mia," he says, and suddenly I lose all feeling of my body. "There isn't someone else; it's you."

I shake my head. "I'm not a werewolf."

"You don't feel the mate bond because you're human, but I feel it."

"Harvey, just stop," I say and face my car. "That's not what Abby said — that doesn't make sense."

"She didn't tell you outright because I asked her not to."

"H-How am I supposed to believe this?"

"I don't know," he admits, "but we can talk about it, and I can explain the best I can why—"

"Why now? Why not tell me sooner?"

"Do you really think you could have handled this sooner? I think now was too soon, but Abby's decided to push you at the truth without warning me." He breathes in, assumedly thinking this over though there's little room to do so.

My chest sinks, and with numb fingers, I ask, "You aren't lying?"

Harvey reaches out and moves a strand of hair out of my face. His knuckles brush against my cheek. "No. I'm not. I feel it — even just by looking at you."

My heart brims with excitement and suspense, yet my nerves are shot. My whole body is cold and nervous, and my head is confused, overwhelmed, and hopeful all at the same time. I try to speak, but the threat of being sick is worse than it was after Abby's rollercoaster ride through the woods, so, even though his touch is warm, and his demeanor is promising, I shrink away.

Then the idea of rejection sprouts in my mind like a weed. I grab it and rip it out because I won't even consider such a thing. If I tried to do that now, it would only be out of fear.

"I need...to go and think this over," I murmur.

"Are you angry still?"

"I don't know how I feel. I just..." I lower onto my driver's seat. It's fight or flight, and I'm opting to run.