☽ 20 ☾

"We begin this evening's broadcast with breaking news: a local resident of Black Lake has been reported missing for over two days now. Town resident Philip McNamara was last seen Sunday morning walking his dog Scout in the lower lake park as he does every morning, but this time neighbors reported he never made it home. Scout, his gold retriever, was found lying on the doorstep of McNamara's residence still wearing his leash, waiting to be let inside. Philip McNamara has worked at Seymour Hardware store on Main Street for over nine years after retiring from the Air Force where he—"

The TV screen goes black. I peer over my shoulder and see my mom with the remote in her hand. "Come on, time to sit down for dinner."

Harper — who's stretched across the adjacent couch texting — gets up without looking from her phone screen.

"Texting Delsin?"

She side-eyes me on her way to the dining room, warning, "Stop."

Perry's footsteps thunder down the stairs, and he goes right into the dining room where Mom and Dad have disappeared to with the roast chicken, brussels sprouts, and mashed potatoes. I spring off the couch and go to Harper's side. Before we're too close for me to ask, I say, "Are you going to tell them?"

"Why?"

"I don't know — I just thought if you're serious and all maybe they should know, but if you're not..."

She halts and drops her phone to her side, whispering, "We are. It's official. Delsin is my boyfriend, and he has been for almost a week."

"Wow, congratulations."

"I could tell them, you know. Delsin is a really good guy — he treats me really well."

"Then I'm happy for you."

She holds her stare and then she suddenly breaks away from me, walking into the dining room. "I have something to say."

I quickly catch up.

"I have a boyfriend," Harper announces at the head of the table.

Mom's eyes widen a little while Dad's face doesn't move at all. Perry cringes and looks back at the Nintendo Switch on his lap, sinking in his chair.

"Oh?" Mom asks, "Who is it? Do we know him?"

"No. H-he goes to the charter school. His name's Delsin." Harper lifts her chin, trying to remain proud though she's never told our parents about any romantic prospect before.

Dad looks at the table with his hands on his hips, still standing while Mom sits down.

"How did you meet him?"

"Through friends," she tells Mom. "I just thought I would tell everyone because I really like him, and we're gonna be going to winter formal together."

"Well, you're at that age." Mom decides, "We're fine with it. Actually, I'd like to meet him sometime."

Dad eyes her. "We are?"

"Why not? She's sixteen. It's normal."

He asks Harper, "How old is Delsin?"

I slip around her and go to my seat, wondering if I should've encouraged this. I just wanted to know if she's as serious about their brand-new relationship as Delsin seems to be.

"He's seventeen."

"See? Normal," Mom tells him. "Sit down, Harper. Let's start eating before everything gets cold."

"He's really respectful," she supplements, sitting next to Perry.

"Can we stop talking about this," Perry grumbles.