☽ 7 ☾

The sun reaches into the sky over the lower lake, shimmering in the water and chasing the morning fog away. Harvey and I walk down the main street sidewalk in the direction of the laboratory. My mom sent us on a task to retrieve three cases of water bottles, but luckily, the laboratory is only two blocks away.

I know my mom has been shoving Harvey and me together whenever she can — maybe she's worried I'll end up a spinster — but when she assigned this particular favor, it didn't seem to be about my love life. I think she knew I wouldn't be able to carry all three cases by myself. Her head is scrambled by the Festival, and these waters are for working volunteers, so I'm happy to help. Besides, Harvey being here isn't a bad thing either. The awkwardness I felt at the Society dinner is clearing the more we talk.

Thankfully, Harvey is easy to talk to.

"Did you go to Black Lake High, then?"

"No, the charter school."

Where Abby went. "My mom looked into it for my younger siblings, but she said every year there's no available spaces. I went on their website, though, and it looks nice. Is it fancier than the high school?"

"When I went, it wasn't fancier or anything like that, just smaller than the high school. The charter school — Westwind — has more active classes. We were often going outside whether it was for science or art or reading," Harvey explains.

"That sounds nice. I probably would have liked it better than Black Lake High."

"How come?"

I smile and wave it off. "You know, typical high-school stuff; it's just a hard time."

"It is," he murmurs.

We cross the street when we come up to the Laboratory. Most of the spots in the lot are filled with people parking wherever they can to access the festival. The museum is closed for the event, anyway. My mom gave me her keys, so I unlock the glass front doors and let both of us inside.

"Is it strange having your family on display like this?" I ask, referring to the photographs, historical blurbs, and artifacts Marianne has selected for the museum.

Harvey shakes his head, no. "I know Dr. Norwood had a great part in the establishment of the town. I wouldn't have everything I do without him, so who I am to keep his history private? He was a good man."

"Actually, there isn't a lot of personal history; it's mostly about the Lab, his life as a doctor, and his tuberculosis treatments. The Norwood family is kind of a mystery besides the fact that they lived in Norwood House."

"I don't think people would be interested in the family. Dr. Norwood is its only significant member."

I shrug. "You'd be surprised. Anyway, the water bottles are in the back room."

Harvey follows me to the society room where the cases are stacked next to the meeting table. I pick up one, and Harvey takes the next two. "You got it?" He asks.

I carry it with my fingers looped inside the plastic, where there are holes. "Yeah, I'm fine. Are you?"

"If that gets too heavy, I can take yours."

"Now you're just showing off," I tease and lead the way back through the museum. I set my case down momentarily to lock the laboratory doors, and then we're off along the street again, the water bottles squeaking and the plastic crinkling with every step.

"Even though your family hasn't been here as long as others, would you want to stay?" He asks. "Or is there somewhere else you want to live?"

"Hm." I adjust my hold. "I love Black Lake. If I moved anywhere else, it would have to be pretty similar to this."