Chapter 31 part 1

Začít od začátku

Matias could do nothing but nod. Anxiety held back his words and anticipation kept him from moving.

"You will have meetings with your lawyer after every doctors appointment for sure, but it would be best to schedule more. As many as possible" Officer Hinton explained, guilt just barely showing through his tone. "Though you won't talk to him today. His name is John Kennith. A very good man" he tried to encourage.

"Okay. Thanks" Matias choked.

He tried to make his way out of the room, forgetting completely about his hood, but Samuel suddenly appeared in the doorway.

"Oh, Officer Hinton" he gasped lightly, though still seeming in a good mood.

The officer gave a small wave, but said nothing.

Matias watched as Samuels eyes filled with worry, beginning to read the room. He shifted uncomfortably and glanced over to look at Matias, but Matias couldn't bring himself to find a reaction.

"A court date has been scheduled, July 14th. Is there a number I can message the information to?" Officer Hinton both explained and asked in a hurry.

Matias picked up on his tenseness, but only glanced away and back at Samuel.

"Of course" Samuel replied quietly, clearly the calmest in the room. "Is there something I can write it down on?"

The officer handed him a notepad and a pen, not saying a word. Matias took note of the fact that the notepad was new. Completely bland and different than the one from before.

When he was done Samuel handed the pad back without sound, glancing up at Officer Hinton and then at the door.

"You two are free to leave. I'll message any information" he smiled, his mood seeming to instantly improve.

Matias didn't smile back. It was obvious how tense and fake the officers had been, and nothing about the situation made him want to smile.

"Your hood" Samuel whispered close to Matias's ear, making him flinch.

Samuel smiled weakly as Matias's reaction, but made no joke, as Matias expected him to do.

When they reached the car Samuel inserted the key, but didn't pull out of the parking spot.

The world felt like it froze. It seemed like nothing else across the globe was relevant aside from the two of them.

"July 14th is soon" Samuel whispered so quiet Matias almost didn't hear him.

"Three weeks from now" Matias mumbled back, his eyes glued to his hands.

The car fell silent once more, but the quiet didn't last long.

"Are you up for meeting someone?" Matias asked, his voice just slightly more upbeat.

He finally pulled his eyes up to meet Samuel's, but struggled to keep them locked onto his.

"Yeah... who?" Samuel inquired with an odd inflection.

"Lexi. I suppose you kind of already know her, she worked at the coffee shop with me"

Samuels eyes lit up in realization. "Oh her!" He gasped, a smile rising to his lips. "I remember talking to her before you showed up that one day. She's very nice.. and hyper" he chuckled.

Samuel didn't have to clarify what day he was talking about. Matias already knew what he was talking about—the day after Matias had fought with Guzantee's men and Samuel had practically begged him not to go to work.

"Yeah" Matias laughed awkwardly, realizing how much he hadn't explained to the both of them.

Samuel still didn't know that Lexi was the reason Matias found him in the alley. And Lexi will have no idea why Matias will be at her doorstep with a regular customer.

"Just so you know" Matias hesitated, "I kind of have a lot to tell both of you" he took a breath, stalling once more. "And she's going to end up knowing that you're the hero"

Samuel blinked a few times, his look of confidence slowly fading.

"She won't tell anyone, I can guarantee" Matias sputtered after seeing Samuels hesitance. "But I left on a bit of a bad note last time"

Samuel gave a look of curiosity.

Matias scratched his neck, unsure how to explain. "She may or may not think I could be dead"

Samuels eyes widened and his hands shifted to the glove box between them.

"She thinks you're dead?!" He shouted, the calm and quiet atmosphere leaving in an instant.

"May or may not" Matias defended, holding his hands up. "I'll explain when we get there" he paused. "Assuming you're okay with going"

Samuels shoulders dropped and his face relaxed. He turned in his seat with an over dramatic sigh and backed out of the parking spot.

"Where does she live?"

--------------------------------------

LEXIII ❤️❤️