After a while, we hardly had the strength to walk anymore. We were quiet the whole time. It was very hot and we had been walking for over an hour.
"Finally." I said when I saw a gas station in the distance with the bus stop. Klaus laughed and breathed a sigh of relief. He grabbed my hand and turned them so that both of our hands were touching my shoulder. He gave me a kiss on my sweaty forehead which he obviously didn't mind and led us inside.

The gas station was outside and inside was a pub. There were pool tables by the door and a couple of guys playing. It smelled of alcohol and cigarettes and looked even worse. Klaus and I looked at each other and then around. One of the pool guys looked Klaus over and laughed.
"You lost, boy?" He asked.
"Thirsty, actually." Klaus replied and dragged me away gently. We know these looks. And if I'd known Klaus wasn't gonna stop me, the guy would've been through something really ugly by now. This era has the flaw that when someone or something doesn't fit in, people aren't very nice. God, I hate this time.
Klaus started waving at the bartender as we approached him.
"Whoo-whoo. Excusez-moi, garçon."
"Yeah?" The bartender replied. He gave us an annoyed look. Dick.
"Any idea when the next bus to Dallas is coming?" Klaus asked nicely.
"Sure do." He replied.
"And?" I asked. My eye twitched from them.
"Three o'clock sharp." He said when he looked me up and down. "Tomorrow."
,,Well, that'll mean plenty more bonding time for--okay." Klaus started but stopped when the bartender left and I groaned before my head hit the bar counter. Not very ladylike, but whatever. Klaus was leaning next to me when an older man called to him from the table.
"Hey, pretty boy."
We both sighed before we turned to him. "Do you mean me?" Klaus pointed at himself.
"Yeah, you. You wanna play a little poker while you wait?" He asked. It was clear from their expressions that they were cocky.  And that they thought they were either going to rob Klaus of what he had or they were going to screw him over for fun.
Klaus turned to me and I raised one eyebrow with a smirk. That was my answer.
"You know what? I would be delighted." Klaus replied.

Soon we were sitting at the table with them. The game was in full swing. Three of the guys had already given up. Well, it's handy to have a ghost with you who can see into other people's cards. The last one still playing with Klaus was the one who offered him the game. Buck or Bob.. something like that.
"If you keep undressing me with your eyes, I'm gonna catch cold." Klaus told him when he was staring for too long.
"Watch your mouth. Stupid's falling out." He warned. Klaus looked at me and we started giggling.
"Is something funny?" The guy asked.
"No. Just thought of a little ditty I'm working on." Klaus looked up. "There once was a young Buck from Dallas who sported a miniature phallus--"
"Tell you what..if you're so cocky..what say we up the stakes?"
"All our money is already in the pot." I replied.
"Throw in that sissy-ass golden necklace he's wearing and the little one you've got. And Clyde here can melt it down, make me a belt buckle." He said.
"That would be one hell of a belt buckle." Clyde added.
"He's bluffing, by the way. He's got nothing." Ben said when he looked at his cards. Klaus and I exchanged a glance before we both reached for our necklace clasps.
"Yeah, we'll put in the sissy necklace and this little one for the keys to your pickup." I dared him. "Unless you're bluffing, of course."
"Deal." Buck said after few seconds and he put his keys in the middle of the table just as we gave our jewerly, too.
"Let's see it." They showed the cards and my stomach turned. Klaus shuffled nervously beside me.
"Full house." They chuckled. "Kings over sevens.
"Well, that...that's not nothing." Klaus said with clenched teeth while smiling. We both looked at Ben with anger because we're screwed right now. Ben looked at Klaus with smug smile and folded arms.
"Fair is fair. You win. And we're gotta be on our way." Klaus said when he pushed all the money to him so he could took his keys.
"You got sticky fingers." Buck said when he noticed.
"And crazy IBS. I mean, it's a miracle I'm sitting down--"Klaus tried to talk it down but was cut off by a punch to the face. He grunted with pain and surprise. He fell on the table right behind us and knocked over the bottle that was on it. I gasped with shock. Klaus angrily punched the table and turned back.
"Give me my damn keys." Buck yelled.
"Showtime, Ben." Klaus spread his arms and began to use his magic to summon Ben.
"What in the hell?" Buck asked when he saw a blue glimpse behind him.
"Nah, I'm good." Ben said before he disappeared. I widened my eyes before I looked at Klaus who couldn't believe his eyes.
"You're so independent, go fight your own battles." Ben said to Klaus when he reappeared.
"You think you could pick a better time to self-actualize?" Klaus asked him with anger and panic. I grabbed Klaus by the arm and dragged him to the door and out while the whole group was still in shock. Outside, we started looking for Buck's car.
"What the hell, Ben?!" I yelled behind me.
"I bet you loving this." Klaus growled.
"I'm not hating it." Ben replied calmly.
"Shit. Which one." Klaus asked when he looked around. The door flew open and Buck and the others ran out. "Try this one." I pointed at the green pickup at the end of the line.
"Get your asses back here! You little shits!"
We opened the doors and I waited for Klaus to see if it was the right car. He managed to start it and we both quickly jumped in the car laughing. Before we could leave, Buck reached in the window and tried to pull Klaus out.
"Give me my truck back!" He yelled.
But Klaus bit his arm so hard that Buck screamed in pain and had to back off. The others had to step aside as we quickly drove off and laughed until we were out of sight