Chapter 24 Anger Revolt

Blair♧

Blair♧

I had to wait for Alex to leave the room this morning before I could get out of bed. I didn't want him to see the bruises along my arms as I didn't want to cause a rift between him and Max and to be honest I had forgotten all about the bruises myself until I had looked down at my arms. They should take a few more days to fade so I guess I'm going to have to go back to hiding.

It was definitely best to avoid Alex this morning as last night I told him he could have his bed back because I hated him sleeping on the floor. It made me feel guilty but the stupid oaf said no and yet his grumpy face this morning suggests otherwise.

So before heading out to my therapy session with Dr Wright I had made a quick stop at my house to retrieve my turtle neck jumper, I had been cautious as to not make a sound but I was quick to realise she was gone, probably buying more beer or selling herself off for drugs.

I made fast work of putting on the jumper and snuck back out of the house. Even without her there I still remained attentive to each and every sound. Some chains I will never unshackle myself from.

***

The roman numeral clock ticks by the seconds of this hour session and I stare at it until all the figures and the hands turn to black dots beyond my view. I blink twice and the clock returns to normal.

Tik.

Tok.

Tik.

Tok.

"I can sense a change in you, your spirit has been lifted care to tell me why?"

I ignore her question like I ignore her presence. I don't even know why I'm here today at all, Eric had given me a day off so my muscles could rest and because according to him 'I looked like I needed a rest' whatever that means. Instead of relaxing I'm sat in this chair running my fingers up and down the chair's arms with my mind whirling back to the bruises.

I know Max wasn't completely clear headed when we had our session yesterday but it still hurts.

"Your calmer, quieter and yet distant like a heavy burden is weighing on you. Care to enlighten me?"

Tik.

Tok.

Goes the roman numeral clock and I stare harder at it as if that would turn it into a portal that could swallow me up and take me anywhere but here. I hear her shift across from me and I fight the urge to look because for once in my life I find myself wanting to speak.

"Blair these sessions are designed to help you, if you do not participate I cannot do that and therefore you are wasting time. This time could be given to a person who actually needs my help."

My fingers stop rubbing the arms of the chair and instead curl up into tight fists. My nails dig crescents into my palms and the room feels stuffy despite the cold wind howling outside, the trees swaying rapidly as seen through the semi circled window.