Chapter 9 Crumpled

Blair♧

Blair♧

Mornings were never pleasant for me.
They never really were meant to be.

Some kids my age wake up to parents who are happy to see them. Their fathers busy in the kitchen reading a newspaper or busy collecting documents for work and their mothers would be in the kitchen cooking breakfast and making sure all the lunches were packed for the day.

Each parent would smile as their kids flaunts into the room in their uniform ready for school. They would ask if each other slept well and bid each other a good day and they would sit, eat and bask in the joys of one another's presence because that what family does. Through the lows and the highs, the arguments and the laughs, family stick together.

And my family?

Family wouldn't be the right word.

Instead of waking up to a glorious life I wake up to a living horror of a surreal existence. My father is busy doing God knows what, God knows where and my mother is either shit faced drunk or just lounging around the kitchen looking for food of which we don't have because it's me who usually does the shopping and when you have school to deal with, there isn't much time for shopping trips.

No one makes sure my lunch is packed so I'm stuck getting free school meals payed for by the government like I'm some low life piece of scum and no smiles would ever be served my way because apparently I'm undeserving of any kind of happiness.

No one in my household eats together and we certainly do not wish each other a good day and I'm pretty sure my mother actually wishes me dead. Through the lows and the highs there are only lows for us and the arguments do not get redeemed with laughs because my family don't stick together.

My family?

We are nothing at all.

There is nothing special really about my room. The walls and the ceiling are a simple white colour because when we first moved in my mother never bothered to decorate. I don't have curtains, just a few supposed to be white blinds that are in fact tattered and mouldy.

My bed is a single one with a grey duvet and matching pillow. I am overdue a new mattress because whenever I shift in the middle of the night I wake up to a spring digging into my spine making me feel as though I'm sleeping on a pile of bricks.

I have a small oak wardrobe that has the left door hanging my the last nail and a matching set of chest-of-drawers that still have the last two drawers empty from my lack of clothing. So yea, nothing special. 

I'm in the bathroom currently glaring at how ridiculous I look. My school uniform has never looked more stupid than it does right now. Rose Wood High has always had the most hideous colours for their uniform and mine consisted of, a white button up shirt, a florescent yellow blazer and don't even get me started on the navy blue pencil skirt that of course comes with a pair of tights that give you the most unbearable itch.