Chapter 36- Oops.

"God, I am so worried about this work thing. I only have tonight to prepare." I complained.

"The speech?"

"Yeah, it's been so long since I've had to talk on stage. I should not have agreed to something I just can't do."

"You can't be talking like that. You need to have a little faith in yourself." Alex sounded encouraging yet aggressive.

"That's the problem. My confidence is nearly non-existent when it comes to these things."

"Oh what are you talking about!" He furrowed his brows.

"What?"

"You don't have confidence?"

"Don't even try to butter me up, this is serious." I joked.

"No, I am serious. What do you even have to worry about? You are quite good with words and you carry yourself well."

"That's not enough. I get nervous and forget things."

"Kristen, I understand how you feel but talking is your best suit. You're worrying unnecessarily."

"You really think so?" I found a ray of hope in the certainty with which he spoke and faith he showed in me.

"You know I'd never lie to you."

"I guess I just never saw that in myself then." I decided to believe him.

"But I do. And so do others." He said quite sincerely and he patted my face.

"That's very comforting to hear but I'm confused on what to actually do." I admitted.

"Come here," He leaned back comfortably on the pillow and pulled me to him by my waist, making me land on top of him.

"Take it from someone who's been there before, don't think about it too much. Thinking about it makes it seem scary. Just do it. All you have to do is do it. It's really not as bad as it seems in your head."

"You might be right." I nodded.
"Now I wonder how you do it... go out there, over and over again in front of thousands of people every night."

"It's hard only the first few times. The more you do it, the easier it gets."

"I just hope I don't mess up." I worried.

"I'll be honest, I can't promise you that. We often times do. You just have to make the best out of it, make a smooth recovery. Crack a joke and move on." He shrugged.

I smiled. He always made all my problems seem trivial with how calm and composed he was about everything.

As we were deep in conversation my phone suddenly buzzed twice which shifted both of our attention. I picked it up from beside me to see who it was.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked, looking at my expression.

"Miles." I replied as I put my phone away.

"Miles?"

"Yeah, he's been texting me."

"And?"

"Nothing. It's just a lot more than usual."

"Oh."

"Did something happen? This feels strange..."

"I have no idea." He replied in an uninterested manner.

"Are you sure?" I asked once again.

He raised his brows, curled his bottom lip and just shrugged.

"God, maybe I'm wrong about this but the way he's been talking to me... seems like he- oh." His hand slipped underneath my top and I completely lost track of what I was saying.