Chapter 1- The Deal

The first few chapters aren't the best because I wrote it a year ago when my writing wasn't that good. But trust me and stick around because it gets a whole lot better by the next few chapters. And I do go back and edit things a bit here and there anyway. Now enjoy.
_________________________________________

It was around 10 pm on a Friday. Alex and I had decided to go to the bar since we hadn't seen each other in weeks. The two of us had been quite occupied with work.

"So, what would you like to have tonight?" The bartender asked as he smiled politely at us from the counter.

"I'll have a bulliet old-fashioned please" Alex replied.

"And for the lady?" He asked, turning to look at me.

"I'll have a gimlet, thanks," I said.

"So, how's everything been? How was your week?" Alex asked as he adjusted himself on the bar stool.

"Eh. Fine, I guess. Life has just been so monotonous." And boy was that true. It was work, getting drunk every weekend, work and then getting drunk again.

"It's really boring being single. Innit?" He said, scrunching his nose.

"It is but I like it this way. It's fun being single."

"Yeah, it's fun. Apart from the part where you can't get laid." He said as he rolled his eyes.

"Just hook up with someone then." I said casually.

"I wish it was that easy. But it always gets all complicated. Most people look for commitment and I'm not ready for that right now." Alex said, grabbing his drink from the countertop, and handing me mine.

"That makes sense," I said and nodded.
"I feel that way too, sometimes." I added.

"Yeah. Sometimes you just want meaningless sex. You know, just someone who you can get together with when you want to, without it turning into summat else. It's thrilling and it's fun." Alex said as he sipped on his drink.

"I agree but it doesn't always work out for everyone. Totally depends on the other person." I replied.

Alex suddenly turned and looked at me as I drank my cocktail.

"Wait. I have an idea. And...you're probably not going to like it" He said, his face lighting up with excitement.

"What is it?" I eagerly and anxiously asked.

"We're both single, not ready to commit. And we're both looking for something totally casual. Isn't that right?" He said as he lifted his right brow.

"Right," I was half confused, wondering where this was going.

"Okay, this is going to sound crazy..." He said, exhaling deeply.

At this point I had some idea where this was going. And I wasn't liking it. But I kept my hopes up because Alex wouldn't ask me for such a thing, or would he?

"But, why don't we do like a no strings attached sorta thing? I mean, we both want the same things right now. It could work out." Alex said, eagerly looking at me, waiting for my response.

Fucking hell, he just did.

"What? Are you even listening to yourself right now?" I asked in utter disbelief at what he had just suggested.

"Look, I know how crazy this sounds but hey, just think about it. It makes sense." He quickly defended himself.

"No it doesn't, Al! You've lost your mind!" I exclaimed.

"Oh come on!" He sighed.

"Alex, we've been best friends for five years now. This would ruin so much between us."

"But tell me this isn't a good idea." He challenged.

"...even if it sounds like a good idea." I admitted with a lot of strain.

"It won't change anything, love. We're perfect for each other in this case. We're too close to let something like this ruin our friendship."

"But in all seriousness, don't feel pressured into it. If you don't want to do it, it's fine." He added.

As much as I didn't like to admit, I was definitely considering it. I had always wanted to try something like this but never trusted someone enough for it. Opportunity had presented itself before me because who could I trust more than Alex anyway?

"Well it's not that I don't want to, I just-" I began.

"Wait." Alex cut me off.

"Just answer this, do you find me attractive?" He grabbed my hand.

"I guess you're fine." I shrugged.

"Be serious."

"Okay I guess I do. You've got a nice face."

"And do I find you attractive? No, but you'll have to do." He said in a dissatisfied manner. I rolled my eyes.

"I wouldn't be suggesting this if I didn't find you attractive." He stated the obvious.

"So, we both find each other attractive. We're best friends. I want this, you do too. The ball is in your coat."

"But what if something happens? What if this makes things awkward between us?" I asked, concerned.

"I think we should establish some ground rules then," He said eagerly.
"I'll be adding a few of my rules and you'll be adding a few of yours"

"And what are they?" I asked, watching quickly grab a pen and a piece of paper.

"Okay, so the first rule is, we have to be completely sure that we won't catch feelings for each other." He said, writing it down on the paper.

"Guess I won't have to worry about that." I joked.

"Oh don't be so confident now. It's hard to ignore me charm." He said, grabbing my face flirtatiously. I slapped his hand away.

"Moving on to number two," He continued writing on the paper.

"Making sure we still stay friends. Making sure we still spend time doing platonic things, hanging out etc." He said and I nodded in agreement.

My third and final rule- communication." He slid the paper and pen to my side.

"Okay, I guess here are mine,"
I took the sheet of paper from Alex and began writing.

"Privacy. Whatever we're doing will stay between us and only us. That means even the boys can't know." I said, referring to Matt, Nick and Jamie.

"Of course."

"Second rule- no affection. That means, no cuddling after sex, nothing that could make us potentially fall for each other."

"I thought you said you didn't have to worry about that." He teased.

"Emphasis on the potentially part."

"And last rule- being honest to each other." I said and Alex nodded.

We both put our signatures on the paper at the end, promising to not break the rules.

"So I guess this is it then. Deal?" He said as he shook my hand.

"Deal." I replied.