Wrong number

With a small grunt, I wiped the work surface where I had just spilled my coffee before making my way back to my office. Probably the first 5 cups had already been enough. But what could I say? I just couldn't resist.

Humming, I walked up the stairs, careful not to spill any more. Because one thing was certain... I wasn't in the mood to clean the carpet on the steps.

I carefully placed the cup on the desk before starting up the computer. Then I imported the video footage I had filmed today. It didn't take long for all the files to be uploaded to the editing program. Hopefully that wouldn't take long to complete. And then I still had to record the voice over. This video absolutely had to be wrapped up today.

I was just about to start editing when the landline started ringing. An unknown number appeared on the display. I hesitated for a moment because it wasn't a number I had dealt with recently. As far as that was concerned, I had a good memory.

"Hello?" I asked when I finally answered.

After all, it was possible that it was a business call. Even though these connections usually contacted me by email.

"Hello... is this State Farm Insurance? One of your customers hit my car and gave me his insurance information," said a deep, very attractive voice.

"Oh um... No, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you're obviously calling the wrong number. My name is Y/N L/N and I have nothing to do with insurance. Either you've dialed the number incorrectly or you've been given the wrong number," I replied in a friendly manner.

"Oh damn... Son of a bitch. I'm sorry to have bothered you. Have a good day." the man replied.

"No problem. It can happen. Hey... Maybe you should call the police. The guy probably did it on purpose so he doesn't have to pay," I said as I started moving footage back and forth.

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Although I have no clue if it's even his real name." he sighed.

"Hmm... probably not... Were you in a public area? Maybe there were some security cameras around. I guess you didn't memorize the license plate number?" I tried to help.

"Well... It all happened so fast and I didn't think it was necessary.... But I took a few photos and I'm pretty sure it's on there. Sorry again for the interruption." he replied.

"It's all right... Good luck. I wish I could help you some more." I said.

"Don't worry... Your friendly voice was help enough. Bye, Y/N." he chuckled.

*****

Roman POV

"Why are you smiling so big? I would have thought your mood would be fucked after your car took a beating." Jimmy asked me as he picked me up from the mechanic to take me home.

"Oh believe me, I was in a bad mood. Especially considering the guy gave me false information," I replied.

"And what's changed? After all, that's no reason to be all smiles." he wondered.

"Hard to describe... Let's just say that I had a very interesting conversation on the phone." I said as I thought back to that pleasant, soft voice.