Secrets

After a long day I lay in bed freshly showered and watched TV. I was about to fall asleep when my phone started ringing. I groaned and turned around to pick up my phone from the nightstand. I answered the call without checking who it was. Already mad at whoever called and kept me from sleeping.

"What?" I asked, not even trying to sound friendly.

"Hey Y/N where are you?" the voice at the other end asked and I sighed.

"Hey, Roman, where do you think I am? I'm in my hotel room, I was almost asleep." I could not suppress the slight aggression in my voice. When I was tired or hungry, I was essentially a different person. That was always the case and will probably never change.

"Oh, so you're in bed already? Can I come over?" he asked without responding to my tone. I could hear the smile in his voice and it made me even more pissed off.

"No you can't! I've told you several times now that it can't go on like this. This can' t happen any more. It's wrong and it should never have happened." I was very worked up, so I took a deep breath before my blood started to boil. It was much easier to resist him on the phone than in person. One look into his big brown puppy eyes and I melted away. And unfortunately he knew this very well and shamelessly took advantage of it.

On the other end of the line I could hear Roman himself taking a deep breath. It took a while before he said anything. I was about to hang up when he finally answered.

"Listen, Y/N, I feel bad enough without you constantly reminding me. I-I just need to see you, just five minutes, please? We need to talk and I'd rather not do it on the phone," he said.

I sighed deeply and thought about it for a moment. Everything inside me just screamed to say no and hang up. To just ignore him from now on. But the little voice in my head kept wondering, what if. I must have hesitated for a long time, because suddenly I heard Roman ask:

"Y/N... are you still there? Can I come over?"

Who would win head or heart? What was the right decision? Then I made a decision I knew I was gonna regret. But I just couldn't fight it. The urge to see him was too strong.

"I'll get dressed and then come to you. Please send me your room number. I' II be there in 10 minutes." I finally said, knowing full well that it was a mistake.

About 10 minutes later, I was standing at Roman's door. Still hesitant whether I should really do this. I could just turn around and go back to my room, but there was again the question in my head, what if. So I raised my hand and knocked on the door. The sound of the knocking hadn't even faded away when he opened the door. Roman stepped aside and let me in. I crossed my arms over my chest, determined to get this over with as quickly as possible. That was also the reason why I wanted to meet in his room. I could just leave whenever I wanted and didn't have to try to convince Roman to leave.

"All right, Roman, you wanted to talk. Then talk, please." I said as Roman followed me into the room and sat down on the bed. I, on the other hand, remained standing because I had no intention of staying near him any longer than necessary. That's how the whole mess began. Being close to him called for trouble.

"Y/N I know what we did is really really horrible, but that doesn't change the fact that it feels right every time. And believe me, it eats me up inside. And yet I can't stay away from you. I-I tried and you tried to stay away from me, but we failed miserably every time. And as awful as it sounds, you're the only thing on my mind. Not my wife or my kids. Just you! It makes me sick that it's like this, but I can't help it. Believe me, I've tried. I always thought I was headstrong, but every time I see you, that strength flies out the window. I can't take it any more Y/N! I can't stay away from you any longer, so I've made a decision." While Roman was talking, he got up from the bed and stood right in front of me.

I thought I knew what he was going to say, but I didn't want to hear it. What we did was unforgivable enough. My guilt was weighed on me enough. I couldn't add any more weight to it. Being the cause of marriage failure was bad enough in itself, if it came to that. But to take away a child's father, to break up his family, that would break me for good. I couldn't let that happen. Go, Y/N! Leave this room before he could say something we would both regret forever.

"Whatever you want to say, Roman, I don't want to hear it. Don't say it. I've already become a person I never wanted to be, don't make it worse. I don't want that. I don't want to be the reason your family falls apart. We'll just forget what happened between us. It was a mistake. Let's just leave it at that. Whatever is or was between us is over!" At that point, tears started streaming down my face. I was about to wipe them away, but Roman was faster. He held my face in his hands and wiped my tears away with his thumbs.

"Please Y/N, don't cry. Give us a chance! I know you feel the same way I do. We can make it work. Please." he whispered. And there they were, those big brown puppy eyes I couldn't resist. But I had to do it this time. This wasn't just about me. Not only about the two of us. It was too much, it was more than I could bear.

"No, Ro, there is no us. It's over. I'm gonna go now." I was already turning towards the door when Roman grabbed my hand and stopped me.

"Y/N I understand you. I really do. And I respect your decision, although I wish you felt differently. But before you go... can I at least get a kiss good-bye?" Oh, that look. I thought about it for a minute and decided there was nothing wrong with one last kiss. So I leaned in. But of course it wasn't just a kiss. If it was the last time, we could enjoy it to the fullest.

The next morning I rolled out of bed before sunrise and away from Roman's arms. I knew that as long as we kept seeing each other, we'd always be weak. So in that moment I made the decision to leave my old life behind and start over. We could both live in peace. Roman with his wife and children. I would live alone.

What I didn't know at that time was that I would never be alone again.