Accident

"It's weird knowing that this is the last time we'll be traveling together. I'm going to miss this." I said as we were on our way to my house.

We wanted to spend time together again and talk about everything that was coming soon. I mean, we always knew that there would come a point when the Shield would be split apart, but we didn't expect it to happen so soon.

And since the breakup would be followed by a feud, we couldn't afford to be seen together in public. It sucked, but it was part of the job. No matter how much we disliked it. We would get used to it over time. And who knew what great things still awaited us in the future.

"What do we want to do? Do we want to go to a club?" Seth wanted to know.

"Nah. I figured we'd order some food and watch the game. Just a relaxed, quiet evening. What do you say, Dean?" I replied.

"Sounds good to me." he answered from the back seat.

We were just standing at the traffic light waiting to go on when suddenly a terrible noise reached our ears. My head snapped in the direction of the sound. It was the sound of metal bending, glass shattering, and tires squealing. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion.

On the other side of the intersection, a truck hit a car waiting at the red light with full force. The hit vehicle spun around before it slammed into another car. Smoke immediately emerged without it being clear exactly where it was coming from.

"Oh my God!" I gasped, undoing my safety belt before jumping out of the car.

"Dean, Seth! Get the fire extinguisher and first aid kit out of the trunk. Call 911!" I yelled.

As fast as I could, I ran to the car. The smoke was getting thicker. It was clear to me that we had no time to lose. I reached the car and tried to open the driver's door. But it was stuck. No matter how hard I pulled and tugged, I couldn't get it open. There were glass splinters everywhere and to my horror a lot of blood.

I lifted my gaze and saw that it was a woman with long dark hair sitting behind the wheel. Blood ran down her face. She was not moving a muscle. But with relief I saw that she was still breathing. It was not too late.

My heart raced as I hurried to the other side. Fortunately, the passenger door had not been damaged, so it opened easily.

"Hey, can you hear me?" I addressed the woman. But her eyes remained closed.

At that moment, I saw the first flames. Panic began to spread through me. I had to get her out of here as quickly as possible. She didn't have time to wait for the fire department.

"Dean, hurry up!" I yelled.

With one swift movement, I undid her safety belt, glad that it came undone on the first try. I slid my arms under the woman and lifted her up as carefully yet as quickly as possible.

She was badly injured. More and more blood covered her face. But it was still better to be injured and be able to fight than to lose your life in a burning car.

"I've got you. You're going to be okay." I babbled. More to myself, because I realized she probably couldn't hear me.

But then she suddenly opened her eyes. She looked at me and at the sight of her eyes, I I nearly got a stroke. She had the brightest blue eyes I had ever seen. For a short moment I forgot where I was and what was happening around us. Only when her eyes fluttered closed again, I came back to myself.

I carried her as far away from the smoking car as I could. Somewhere behind me I heard Dean begin to extinguish the flames as the sirens of the fire department and ambulance could be heard. Help was on the way. But that did little to calm me as I carefully laid the unknown woman on the grass at the side of the road.

"Here, put this on the cut on her head," said Seth, who knelt next to us with the first aid kit and gave us a compress.

I did as he said, but it was only one of the many wounds that covered her body. While I tried to stop the bleeding on her head, I reached for her wrist with my free hand. I needed to know if she still had a pulse. But before I found the right spot, she had already grabbed my hand. She squeezed it tightly. Again I looked at her face and saw that she was looking at me. Her blue eyes were boring holes into mine.

"It's going to be okay. You're going to be fine," I said to her.

Then the emergency doctor and the fire department came to take matters into their hands. It all seemed like a dream, that's how fast it happened. We talked to the police to explain to them what had happened. Meanwhile, they loaded the woman into the ambulance and rushed her to the hospital. With everything I had in me, I hoped she would be okay. I didn't want the last thing she heard to be a lie.

After a while, we were allowed to go on our way. As I stood by my car, I stared at my blood-stained hands. The shock was deep. After all, this was not something that happened every day. With trembling hands, I reached for a water bottle to rinse the blood from my hands.

"You saved that woman's life, Roman." said Dean to me.

"I hope so," I replied.

(Full story > My Universe < on my profile)