The Unseeing Ranger - Part 1 - Gandalf x Reader

"If you are trying to sneak up on me, you are doing a terrible job." A voice called out, as a tall figure, dressed in grey, made his way through the trees.

"Still have hearing better than the elves, I see..........." Gandalf chuckled, as he walked over to the figure sat next to the fire. The wizard taking a seat on a fallen down tree. A broad smile gracing his features, as he looked at the woman he had been searching for.

"Aye, and better smell too. The odour of your pipe weed does have a habit of giving you away a little. Perhaps next time that you try and creep up on me, come from upwind..........." The woman chuckled, before grabbing her bag and rummaging around in it.

"And speaking of pipe weed, I just happened to have acquired some of your favourite, if you find yourself low..........." She continued. Her smile getting broader, as she felt Gandalf's fingers brush across hers as he reached for the pouch.

"Well, it would seem rude to refuse, if you are offering........" Gandalf replied, as he placed the pouch on his lap and pulled his long pipe from his pocket.

"Keep it, it is yours. I only ever have it for you and one other. And it has been many moons since our paths crossed..........." The woman added, as she turned to the wizard and pulled the hood from her head. The wizard finally seeing the source of the female Ranger's name. White Eyes.

(Y/n), which was the name that she had been given at birth, was Drúedain. She along with another young Ranger, called Aragorn, who had taken the name Strider, were the last two Númenórean in Middle Earth. Both descendants of Isuldur; not that either of them cared for the titles that their blood might give them. The two preferring to wander the lands, protecting those that needed their help. Yet whereas Aragorn had come upon his name, because of the long legs that those who were of Númenórean blood were supposed to possess, when compared to the shorter-legged Bree-men, (Y/n) had been named White Eye for the fact that they were just that, white. There no colour to her unseeing eyes, which made the fact that she could do everything her cousin Aragorn could do while not being able to see the world around her, all the more impressive.

"Now..........." (Y/n) began, as she reached for a stick, poking it into the fire, to encourage it a little, before throwing it, and a few more like it, into the flames.

"What is it you want, Stormcrow..................?"

"What do you mean.............?" Gandalf enquired, as he finished packing his pipe and lit it.

"Oh please. You only ever come looking for me if you need something. So, what is it this time?" The Ranger continued. Laughing as the wizard grumbled to himself about just coming to find an old friend, and was that so wrong; before finally, he went quiet.

"Well...............?"

"Well............." The word accompanied by the scent of the smoke from the pipe weed.

"I am with a Company............."

"A Company...........?"

"Yes. A Company of thirteen dwarves, and........a Hobbit..........."

"Dwarves and a Hobbit.............? Gandalf, you do find yourself in the strangest situations. What are you up to now.......?"

"The leader of the Company, is a dwarf by the name of Thorin; and he and the others are travelling to the Lonely Mountain to reclaim their home from the.........."

"Dragon!" (Y/n) interrupted, as she sat up and turned to the wizard.

"They wish to take back Erebor from Smaug? Now who would put that foolish notion in their heads; as if I didn't already know." The Ranger continued, shaking her head, as Gandalf coughed uncomfortably.

"Well, what is it you want of me.............?"

"I wish you to join the Company. I will not always be able to be with them; they have a long way still to travel, and have need of your experience and knowledge, whether they know it or not. I cannot promise that you will be welcomed with open arms. Thorin, the heir to the Mountain, is distrusting of others that are not his people; but I know that you will have experienced worse. They need you, (Y/n). And I know that if I can trust anyone to watch over them, and make sure that they get to the Mountain, it is you..........." Gandalf explained, as (Y/n) turned her attention back to the fire.

Dwarves, a hobbit, and a dragon; the last of the fire drakes, no less. As strange as it might sound, something like this was quite typical of the Grey Wanderer. Gandalf seeming to have a terrible habit of being involved in only the strangest things that went on in Middle-Earth; so really, she shouldn't be surprised. But this was certainly something that she had not expected when she set out that morning. The female Ranger humming to herself softly, as she thought about the wizard's proposition.

She had had very little interaction with the peoples of the Shire; and just as little with the creations of Aulë the Smith; though she was well aware of the dislike between dwarves and elves, and the legendary stubbornness of the ground dwellers. But, she could be just as stubborn; that, and she had never been one to backdown from a challenge, and coming face to face with a dragon, would certainly be a challenge.

"Very well, I will join your strange Company. But first, we eat, we rest, and you can tell me more about what I have agreed to." (Y/n) chuckled. The Ranger not having to see the wizard to know that he was smiling at her.