Shadow - Part 1 - Legolas x Reader

The Fellowship settled down around the fire. The smell of supper drifting through the ether as Merry and Pippin fried up some mushrooms, and whatever else they had been able to find before it had gotten too dark.

Aragon sat with Legolas. The Ranger puffing on his pipe as he warmed himself and stared into the flickering flames. It was still strange being in the company of so many others. Aragorn had spent so long wandering the north by himself that he had got used to only having himself for companionship. But he had to admit that being with Legolas and the others was a pleasing change. There was just one thing missing. One person that he would give everything to see, and have join him and the others on their quest to aid Frodo. And that was Shadow.

"When was the last time you saw Shadow?" Legolas suddenly asked. Aragorn wondering whether his friend had been reading his mind.

"It's been many moons. I'm ashamed to say that it's been far too many moons. The last thing I heard; Shadow had been seen in Rohan. And then up in Eriador. But that was only a rumour. You know what Shadow is like. Always hard to pin down." Aragorn sighed, watching as the princes of Mirkwood stared deep into the fire.

"You don't think that.......that."

"Dead? No. I don't think for one minute that Shadow is dead. You know as well as I do, that Shadow would never leave this world quietly. I am sure that the whole of Middle earth would knew if the infamous Shadow had been killed." Aragorn interrupted. Not wanting to think about the possibility that the Ranger had died.

"Why do you think Shadow left Mirkwood?" Legolas asked, hoping to get an answer from the only person that may know the motives of the elusive Ranger.

"I don't know, Legolas. I never got chance to ask. Shadow disappeared before I could enquire. But you know that there must have been a good reason. Shadow would never leave you unless it was something important." Aragorn replied. Trying to somehow reassure his old friend.

"There's someone coming." Boromir suddenly called out. The steward prince of Gondor jumping to his feet and grabbing his sword as a dark figure came into view over a nearby ridge. Its form only lit by the moon that hung low in the sky.

"It couldn't be. Its impossible." Aragorn said quietly, as he, Legolas, Gimli, and the Hobbits joined Boromir. Aragorn and Legolas looking at one another in disbelief.

"Are ya goin tell the rest of us what's goin on?" Gimli demanded. As he gripped tightly to the handle of his axe. The dwarf waiting to battle whatever, or whoever was making their way towards them.

"It looks like a Ranger. What's going on?" Boromir chimed in. As the mysterious visitor drew ever closer.

"Its Shadow." Aragorn finally answered. He and Legolas doing their best to hold back their smiles.

"Shadow? I've heard that name before. A Ranger that has a similar reputation to yourself. What do they want here? This is none of another Rangers concern." Boromir added. Not knowing why this Ranger would seemingly be following their fellowship.

"I don't know. Why don't you ask. Shadow will be here in a moment." Aragorn retorted. As the approaching Ranger, broke out into a sprint. The son of Arathorn making his way back over to his spot by the fire. Legolas disappearing quietly into the darkness.

"Halt! What does a Ranger want here?" Boromir called out. The figure coming to a stop as they arrived at the scene.

"I am looking for a Ranger by the name of Strider. I had heard that he had been seen with four halflings. That he had volunteered for a quest. Its important that I speak with him." A husky voice replied from under a large black cowl.

"Ain't no one around here by that name. Now be off with ya." Gimli growled, as he stepped in front of Boromir. Staring up at the tall Ranger, defiantly.

"If you are trying to intimidate me......dwarf. I can assure you that it won't work. And neither will your lies. If I am not mistaken, those are four halflings, and as you very rarely get any of their kind leaving their warm holes, I would suggest that they are the ones that Strider was accompanying. That, and I know that he's here. I can feel his presence." The Ranger hissed, as they looked over at Frodo and the others.

"Shadow. That is really no way to speak to my friends." Aragorn said casually. All those present turning to look at the happy looking heir of Isildur.

"You have friends? Ha! Now that I don't believe." Shadow replied. The Rangers voice now taking on a more melodious tone.

"After all this time. That's how you greet me?" Aragorn chuckled, as he got to his feet. The rest of the Fellowship staring wide eyed as Shadow rushed past them and threw themselves into Aragorn's waiting arms.

"How I greet you? What kind of reception is it when you let your sister be threatened by a dwarf and the Captain of the White Tower?" Shadow asked. The Ranger removing their large hood to reveal an exquisite dark haired woman. The siblings smiling fondly at one another as Aragorn raised his hand and pushed a few stray strands of hair back behind his sister's ear.

"You've grown since I saw you last, (Y/n). You've got more beautiful, if that's possible." Aragorn continued. Both he and (Y/n) forgetting that the others were there.

"Aragorn!?" Boromir exclaimed. As he, Gimli, and the Hobbits stared at the two heirs of Gondor.

"My apologises." Aragorn stated apologetically, as he turned his sister to look at the others.

"(Y/n). I would like to introduce you to the rest of the Fellowship. Boromir, Gimli, Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin. I would like you to meet my sister, (Y/n)." Aragorn proudly announced, as he took his sister's arm, and escorted her back over to them.

"It is a pleasure to meet you all." (Y/n) said, nodding respectfully.

"You forgot about me." A voice called out. (Y/n) turning at the sound of the familiar voice. A soft smile pulling at her lips as she saw the blonde haired prince.

"Legolas." (Y/n) gasped, as she rushed over to the ellon. Stopping as the two stood face to face.

"Your brother was right. You are more beautiful." Legolas whispered, as he gently brushed his fingers over the female Rangers cheek. (Y/n)'s eyes fluttering shut at the feel of the elf's touch. A touch that she believed she would never feel again.

"And you have grown more handsome." (Y/n) replied, as Legolas placed his forehead against hers.

"Why did you leave Mirkwood, Meleth Nin? Why did you leave me?" Legolas asked, not caring that the others were still there. Only caring that the woman he loved was now standing in front of him. Aragon ushering the others away so that the two could speak in peace.

"Your father. I didn't want to leave, Meleth. But he told me that it wasn't fair to let you suffer when I died. To let you experience what he had when your mother passed. That even though I was Dúnedain, I would not live as long as you. And if I truly loved you, I should let you go. That I should want you to be happy. Want you to find someone that would live as long as you. One that would make a good queen. One that was not a humble wandering Ranger. I died the day I left you, Legolas. I knew that I could never love anyone else. But I knew that one day I would grow old and wither. And I could not see you in pain." (Y/n) tried to explain, as the elf prince placed his arms around her.

"(Y/n). I would not give up a life with you, for a thousand immortal lifetimes. And even though we may be parted one day. What years we will have together, will be the greatest I will ever know. This is our life, and you are my love. I never want you to leave me again. You promised yourself to me, and I to you. And I will never forget that vow. Promise you'll stay." Legolas said. His heart pounding as he felt (Y/n) nod.

"I promise."