Old friend - Part 4 - Thranduil x Reader

(Y/n) sat quietly, as the maids that the king had sent to assist her, scurried back and forth like excited mice. The elleths fussing, as they finished pinning the lady's hair and laying out her gown. (Y/n) couldn't help but smile, as the looked at the reflection of the beautiful dress that had been gifted to her by her aunt. It was perfect, just right to attract the gaze of a certain prince; yet as much as she wanted to hold Legolas' attention for the evening, to make him realise what he had lost, more than that, (Y/n) had found that she hoped it would hold the attention of the king.

Since she and Thranduil had climbed the tallest tree in Mirkwood earlier that day, she had been unable to stop thinking about the breathtaking ellon. There had always been something about him. It was not just the fact that he was handsome, which of course he was, the most handsome ellon that she had ever seen. No, there was something deeper that; something that felt as though it spoke to her, called to her. And when he had asked if she had closed her heart completely, a part of her had wanted to say no; that it would open for him, if he would only have it. But she had shaken the notion from her head; sure, that it was just a momentary fanciful thought. That the king would never, could never see her in such a way, especially given the love that he had had for Legolas' mother. That, and compared to him, she was still only young. Yet, she was still feeling something. Something that she had given up on, as far as her heart was concerned............hope. Hope, that despite what she had thought for so long, there might be one out there that could love her, and she could love in return.

"Would you get that, Erthriel...........?" (Y/n) asked, as a knock came to the door of her rooms. The maid nodding and smiling, before making her way to the ingress. Another elleth smiling at her though the mirror, as someone spoke to Erthriel from the corridor. (Y/n) turning, as the maid returned with something draped across her arms.

"What................?"

"It is from the king, my lady. He has asked if you will do him the honour of wearing it for his celebrations." Erthriel explained, as (Y/n) got to her feet. Her fingers hesitating for a moment, before ghosting over the magnificent gown.

(Y/n) was sure that she couldn't breathe. As perfect as the gown was that her aunt had given her, this.........this was more so. The dress appearing to shimmer, to shine. It was pale, yet at the same time, was full of colour; its cuffs, neckline and hemline covered in the finest of jewels. And as much as she had wanted to wear the gown from Lothlórien, she could not say no to this. Could not say no to her king.

"Of course, I will wear it. It is the king's day, and if he wishes me to appear in this, then it will be an honour." (Y/n) agreed, the maids carefully taking the thin gown that she was wearing from her shoulders, allowing it to drop to the floor, before beginning to dress her.

                                                      >>-----------------------------------<<

"You look..............you look like a queen, my lady." Erthriel gasped, as she and the other maids looked the lady up and down. (Y/n) herself, not quite sure what to say, as she took in her reflection.

"I'll get it............" Erthriel said, as yet another knock came to the door. (Y/n) turning, as she saw all the maids suddenly curtsy to the visitor.

"My king.............?" The lady gasped in disbelief, as into the room came the king. (Y/n) bowing, as Thranduil came to stand before her.

"You look exquisite. More so than I had even imagined. But there is one thing missing........." Thranduil said, as he carefully placed his palm under her chin, and brough up her head so that she was looking at him. A smile.........a real smile finally making its way onto his lips, as his steely eyes caught hers. The king slowly moving his hand, until it took hers, and had her stand. (Y/n)'s brows furrowing, as Thranduil gestured to a guard behind him; the ellon stepping forward and holding out an elaborate box. The king opening it and bringing out a circlet; a circlet that looked more like a crown, than the simple rings that she was used to. (Y/n) feeling her heart begin to pound, as Thranduil placed the piece on her head.

"There.........now you are perfect. Shall we..............?" The king continued, as he held out his arm for her to take.

"My king................?"

"I wish you to accompany me, to be my guest. Consider it my gift from you, my dear." Thranduil explained, as he gave her another disarming smile. (Y/n) knowing that she could not say no; not for the fact that it would be unseemly to do so, especially as she was there to represent not only Lothlórien, but also her aunt and uncle. No, it was more because she had no desire to refuse him. No want to ever tell him no. The lady smiling back, as she placed her arm in his and allowed him to lead her from the room.

                                                           >>---------------------------------<<

The great room was full of guests, all waiting for the king to arrive. There were rumours that had already spread throughout the kingdom that Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn had been unable to attend the function but had sent their envoy in their place. The nature of this envoy though, strangely seeming to have remained a mystery. But given the fact that Thranduil had ordered that a seat for them be placed right next to his at the head of the table, suggested to all the others, that the king must hold them in high regard. The prince in particular finding the whole thing quite strange.

His men had informed him that the envoy had arrived late the night before, on their own, without escort, or guard. Legolas not sure who would be brave........or foolish enough to make such a journey, especially as he had been told that the envoy was a lady. The prince still lost in thought, as the doors to the hall were opened, the other guests falling quiet, as they watched the king and his escort make their way into the room. Legolas suddenly looking over as those around him began to bow and curtsy. His eyes widening, as he saw the elleth that held on to his father's arm. An elleth, that despite the years, he would recognise anywhere. One word leaving his lips, as he took in her beauty.

"(Y/n)................"