Healer - Part 4 - Bard x Reader

Apologies for this part being a little shorter. But I wanted to bring this story together in a last chapter. I hope you still enjoy.

(Y/n) sighed, as she looked at her gowns. The once pristine dresses were now dull and dirty. Not that she normally cared. They were washed and clean but given what she did on a day to day basis. Given that she was mixing herbs and oil for her potions and poultices on a daily basis. That she hunted glass, bushes and land around Dale and Erebor for her ingredients. Given she was helping with everything from cuts, bruises and aching muscles, right up to delivering babies. (Y/n) was well aware that her gowns would never be the same as if she had remained in Mirkwood. But now, as she readied herself for her dinner with Bard and the children, she found herself wishing that she had kept one dress for a special occasion. That she had kept one dress just for the Master of Dale to see her in. One dress just for Bard.

With another sigh, the half-elven chose the gown with the least marks on it. Slipping into the soft material and tightened the laces. Her mind momentarily slipping back to the home of her elven kin. Wondering what she would be doing if she had remained in Mirkwood. If she would ever have forgotten about Bard when he no longer needed to make his trips up the river. Would she have found herself an elven lord to spend her eternity with? Would she have been happy? She doubted it. She had seen and met many lords, even kings over her already long life. Yet none had had the affect on her that the simple bowman had. None had made her heart beat like Bard could. And that was why she was choosing to stay in Dale. Choosing to stay with his family until they themselves grew old and passed. Choosing a friendship with Bard, over love with an elf.

With one more heavy sigh, (Y/n) looked at herself in the small mirror on her table. She was sure that she had looked better. Definitely not as tired. Sure, that if king Thranduil could see her, he would make comment. But she just hoped that Bard wouldn't mind. That he would appreciate that it was due to her long hours taking care of the people of Dale. Yet there was little she could do now. She had a dinner to attend, and she didn't want to be late.

                                                          >>-------------------------------<<

Bard had been to Erebor. He had been to the great dwarven kingdom to appeal to the Dwarves that he had fought side by side with. To negotiate with king Dain for something special. To exchange a little of the treasure that he had received as a fourteenth share. Some of the treasure that he was using to slowly rebuild Dale, for the most perfect of things. Something that he could give (Y/n) that very night to show her how he felt. And now the object sat patiently on a small table as he dressed for the evening. He wanted everything to be just so. Everything to be perfect. He wanted (Y/n), himself, the children, to be able to remember this evening for the rest of their lives. To be able to tell their grandchildren about the moment. Maybe even their great grandchildren. The Master of Dale doing his best to look at his whole form in the small mirror in his hand.

The children had been so excited when he had informed them of his plans, especially Tilda. Even Sigrid had been overjoyed as she, Bain and Tilda had embraced their father when given his news. The youngest of his children flitting around the house, moving things in preparation. Telling everyone that the chair that she normally sat in, could now be (Y/n)'s as it was right next to her father. And the half- elven wouldn't mind if she sat on her lap. Bard smiling, as his other two children had begun to ready their family home. A home that would soon be welcoming a new person. Or he hoped it would.

"You look fine, Pa." A reassuring voice came. Bard smiling, as his oldest daughter made her way into the room and straightened out his collar.

"Everything is ready." Sigrid continued. Placing a soft kiss on her father's cheek. Bard picking up the small box from his table, before taking his daughter's hand. Allowing her to lead him out of his room. The bowman doing his best to stop the tears from rolling down his cheeks, as he saw what his children had managed to do with their small home. As he saw them dressed in their best clothes to greet the half-elven.

"(Y/N)!" Tilda suddenly exclaimed, as a knock came to the door. Sigrid grabbing her sister and father, as Bain made his way to open the ingress. To greet their visitor.

                                                   >>-------------------------------<<

"Bain." (Y/n) smiled, as the boy answered the door. The half-elven chuckling slightly, as he bowed gracefully.

"Milady." Bain replied. Causing (Y/n) to chuckle all the more.

"I am here to escort you." The boy continued. Offering (Y/n) his arm. The elleth curtsying, before placing her hand in the crook of his elbow. The two making their way to the small back room. Bain kissing (Y/n) on the cheek as he pushed on the door. The half-elven's eyes growing wide, as she saw the small room filled with lots of little candles. The tiny dancing lights making the man in the middle of it all, appear more handsome than he normally did. Bard holding out his hand for (Y/n) to take, as she slowly moved into the room.