What are we gonna do now?

CADMUS LABS, WASHINGTON D.C., July 4, 00:01 EDT

"Time runs short. You must awaken. You must awaken now!" I heard a voice in my head, and suddenly, my eyes snapped open.

"What? What do you want? Quit staring!" KF wailed. "You're creeping me out," he groaned as you blinked a couple of times, trying to shake off the sleepy feeling.

"Uh, KF, how about we not tick off the guy who can fry us with a look?" I offer, my voice raspy, due to the pain and remaining grogginess.

"We only sought to help you," Aqualad told the clone, sagely.

"Yeah! We free you, and you turn on us. How's that for great-" KF continued.

"Kid, please, be quiet now," Aqualad objected. "I do not believe our new friend is in full control of his actions."

"What...what if I... What if I wasn't?" the clone asked, and your gaze softened.

"He can talk!" KF exclaimed, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"Yes! He can!" Superboy shot back, fists clenching.

"At least we didn't call you it." I mutter under my breath.

As Aqualad and KF talk to the super clone, I try to access my lock pick. I let out another quiet groan when I realize I couldn't, due to the position of my arms.

Looking over to Robin, I notice he seems to be having more luck, as he slowly worked the lock pick on his cuffs. He raises his eyebrow at me questioningly, but I shook my head.

Damn... Well I suppose they tried to take my pen. Too bad it's attached to me like a curse...

"Not like I said, it," KF muttered, catching the small glares we sent him.

"The Genomorphs, they taught you?" Aqualad asked.

"They taught me a lot," he admitted. "I can read, write, and I know the names of things," Superboy's words were encouraging, but his tone held an air of desperation to it.

"But have you seen them?" I interrupted, pulling the clone's eyes to me. "Have they ever actually let you see the sky? Or the sun?" I shifted slightly in my restraints, wincing.

There were little cuts scattered all over me, and I could feel where bruises would be forming over the next few days.

"Images are implanted in my mind, but no. I have not seen them," Superboy admits.

"Do you know what you are? Who are you?" Kaldur questions.

"I am Superboy, a genomorph, a clone made from the DNA of Superman. Created to replace him should he perish, or to destroy him should he turn from the light," Superboy explains.

"To be like Superman is a worthy aspiration, but like Superman, you deserve a life of your own beyond that solar suit, beyond your pod, beyond Cadmus," Aqualad tries to reason.

"I live because of Cadmus! It is my home!" Superboy yells angrily.

"Your home is a test tube," Robin explains.

"We can show you the sun," I add.

"Uh, pretty sure it's after midnight, Arcane, but we can show you the moon," KF chimed.

"We can show you, introduce you, to Superman," Aqualad coaxed, and for a moment, it looked like it was working.

"No, they can't. They'll be otherwise occupied. Activate the cloning process," a man in a lab coat and glasses ordered while walking into the room.