CHAPTER SEVENTY-FOUR

{WE DID EVERYTHING WE COULD}

As David was still outside battling with the situation and his emotions, Kathleen was still seated opposite the operating room where Charles was in, waiting for the red light to be turned off which would signal the end of this terrifying situation.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the red light above the operating room flickered and dimmed. A hushed silence fell over the operating room as Kathleens's cries and prayers suddenly seized along with Charles's parents who arrived a little while ago. They all held their breath, anxiously awaiting news. Moments later, the doors swung open, and a weary looking surgeon appeared.

KATHLEEN'S heart pounded in her chest as she stood up, her eyes locked on the doctor. He approached her with a weary face.

"We did everything we could", he said, his voice filled with genuine compassion.

Kathleen's heart sank as those words escaped the doctor's lips. The air around her suddenly felt suffocating, as if a heavy weight had been placed upon her chest. The room began to spin, and she reached out to steady herself against the cold, sterile wall. While Charles's mother had suddenly fainted after hearing the news and was rushed to a room by her husband and some nurses Kathleen couldn't be bothered by the situation going on around her all she was focused on was the doctor in front of her.

"I...I don't understand," she stammered, her voice barely audible. "How...how could this happen?"

The doctor's sad eyes met hers, filled with remorse and compassion. "We did everything we could, Mrs. Walker," he explained gently. "The surgery was complex, and there were unforeseen complications. Despite our best efforts, we couldn't save him."

Tears welled up in Kathleen's eyes as a flood of emotions overwhelmed her. Fear, grief, and disbelief collided within her, threatening to consume her entirely. Charles, was gone. What would happen to her and Lana now?.

"I don't believe you," she whispered, her voice infused with desperation. "Please...tell me there's something you can do. Anything."

The doctor's expression grew even sadder as he gently shook his head. "I wish there was, Mrs. Walker, but his condition was more severe than we initially thought. Even if we had managed to save him, his quality of life would have been greatly compromised."

Kathleen's knees weakened beneath her, and she sank to the floor, her body wracked with sobs. The weight of her loss seemed unbearable, threatening to consume her whole. David quickly came to her side, he was also crying but still trying to console her. Memories of their life together washed over her, both fond, bitter, and sweet. Their first meeting, the laughter they shared, the love that had enveloped them like a warm embrace, their separation and even them meeting again.

As Kathleen mourned the loss of her first love, a mix of anger and confusion seeped into her sorrow. How could this happen? Just two days ago, they still argued about them getting back together. Now, that argument had evaporated, leaving nothing but a void of emptiness.

In the depths of her despair, and haunted by the doctor's words, Kathleen couldn't help but question if it was her fault that things turned out like this? If she hadn't harshly rejected him he wouldn't have wanted to get away from her for some weeks, and this plane crash would have never happened. Because of her, her precious daughter was now fatherless.