CHAPTER SIXTY

I'M SO SORRY

Kathleen's heart pounded in her chest as she stood before Mathew, her words tumbling out in a desperate plea for forgiveness. Her voice cracked with emotion as she apologized for leading him on, for giving him false hope when she had convinced herself that she felt something for him. Tears welled up in her eyes as she realized the depth of her mistake.

Mathew gazed at her, his expression a mix of sadness and understanding. He held her gaze for a moment before speaking, his voice gentle yet tinged with a hint of sorrow. "Kathleen, you don't need to apologize. I knew deep down that you were trying to force yourself to love me. But I wanted you with all your uncertainties and doubts. And now, here we are, with both our hearts broken."

Kathleen's breath hitched, the weight of his words sinking into her soul. She couldn't bear to see the sadness etched on his face. Silently, she reached out and brushed her trembling hand against his cheek, her touch a feeble attempt to ease his pain. "Mathew, I never meant to hurt you. I'm so sorry".

A flicker of a smile graced Mathew's lips, though it failed to reach his eyes. "I know you didn't, Kathleen. And I appreciate your honesty. Sometimes, it's better to acknowledge our true feelings, even if it means risking our hearts. It's a painful lesson, but it's one we both needed to learn."

Tears streamed down Kathleen's face, her voice choked with emotion as she continued to apologize, unable to find solace in her own words. Mathew wrapped his arms around her, offering a bittersweet embrace. They stood there, holding each other for what felt like a lifetime, two souls caught in the wreckage of a fleeting connection.

Feeling drained yet resolved, Kathleen finally pulled away from Mathew's embrace. She looked up at him, her eyes red and swollen but filled with determination. "I think it's best if I go home alone, Mathew. I need some time to sort out my emotions."

Mathew's eyes softened as he nodded, understanding her need for solitude. "Of course, Kathleen. Take all the time you need. Just know that I'll still be here for you, no matter what."

With a heavy heart, Kathleen turned to walk away, her footsteps echoing in the restaurant. She couldn't bring herself to look back, afraid that she might crumble if she caught another glimpse of Mathew's pained expression. Tears spilled down her cheeks, mirroring the rain that fell outside.