Chapter 27: Punishment

After dropping Chelsea home, I headed straight for mines. Exiting the car, I noticed my mom's car in the driveway. She's home?

Unlocking the door, I enter a quiet house. It seemed almost empty, but I knew my mom was here. I just saw her car, "Mom, I'm home!" I call out.

Suddenly footsteps came running down the stairs. Before I could even utter a word her arms were wrapped tightly around me in a hug. I awkwardly pat her back confused on why she is hugging me like she haven't seen me for years.

"Mom what happened? " I asked. I instantly regretted the question when seeing her pull back with an angry expression.

"Avery Rae Williams, where on earth we're you?"

"I was out with friends." I tell her still a little lost.

"I came home yesterday to an empty house. I thought something happened to you and now you walk in at around 3 in the afternoon? You didn't even leave a note." She exclaimed waving her hands for emphasis.

I knew she was angry and scared, "I didn't think you'd be home.." I trail, "but here you are." I chuckle nervously, "home!"

She found no humor in the situation only making my nervous chuckle anger her more. I sigh," I'm in trouble aren't I?"

"Two days, no hanging out with anyone." She said. That's my punishment? Not bad really, I thought i'd be worse like no food for a week.

However she wasn't finished,"Starting today!"

My mouth hung, I was supposed to hang out at the pool with everyone. I bit my lips nervously,"can we start tomorrow?"

When seeing her angered expression I knew I was only trying my luck, "Fine. I'll be in my room. Sorry if I scared you, I'll leave a note or text you next time." I tell her climbing up the stairs,
She nods with a sigh running her hands through her hair. I knew I scared her, I mean dad left her and I am all she has. Even if it was for a day and a half, you never really know if something bad had happened.

I push open the door heading right for my shower. I hopped in washing off all the events from yesterday and came out feeling fresh and clean. I changed into a pair of black shorts and grey shirt. I let my wet hair fall along my back.

I let out a sigh sitting on my bed, I then remember I had to tell Chelsea I wasn't going to make it. I grab my phone seeing it was almost dead. I jumped off my bed searching for my charger.

It wasn't easy.

"Where the hell is it?" I mutter rummaging through my messy room. I really need to clean it, I can't find nothing. I glanced at my phone to see it on 10%.

I started looking faster but couldn't find it. I was about to give up when I caught sight of the black charger under a pile of clothes, I rushed over there and grabbed it.

I plugged it into the wall and instantly shot Chelsea a quick text telling her how I couldn't go. A second later I got a reply:

C- Why?
A- Mom's home and I forgot to tell her about yesterday. I'm grounded for two days.
C- That's not bad.
A- Agreed.
C- Want me to sneak in so we can hang?

I chuckle at the message, she truly is a great friend.

A- Nah, you have fun with the boys.
C- You sure?
A- Positive.
C- Okay, I'll go but I won't have fun :(

I laughed knowing she was lieing. I locked my phone and headed over to my bed. Turning on the TV, I laid back watching some random movie.

About thirty minutes in I swore I was going insane. I kept hearing my name being called in the mist of the movie.