Chapter 100

Gabriel

Owen's eyes met mine for a few moments as they began to vanish and I felt a roar rise in my throat, then I fell to the ground, my voice turning to a shattering howl. Everything began to hurt as I clutched at my hair, pulling and crying out. The pain became overwhelming and I felt like I was shattering into a million pieces. Blood began to pour down into my eyes and mouth and I could hear the sound of my skin ripping, but nothing could stop it. I collapsed into the rocky terrain, panting, pain radiating all through my form.

"He's changed," voices hissed and whispered. "He will stay," others spoke. "She will tame him," yet more clamored.

"Silence!" I roared, rising to my feet...well sort of. It was just as Avery had said. I was no longer in my human form. Instead, I stood on four strong legs, my toenails digging into the dirt. The shadows shifted and hissed. "I will not stay and no one will tame me," I growled, baring my teeth. "Stand in my way and I will rip you to shreds." I scanned the area, seeing the shifts and distortions that weren't there before. I suddenly felt a slicing pain in my neck where Luke's mark was and roared, then charged toward the shimmery lines in front of me, only thinking of my mates.

Victor

Luke let out a roar as the creature's talons sliced through his scales, bringing rivulets of blood. I felt a pang in my chest as he stumbled with his injury. Shadows swarmed everywhere as we all fought. I could see a faint shimmer as Owen held tightly to Avery. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she tried to break free. Her face was drawn and she looked exhausted. I knew she wanted to fight, but I feared she would only be at risk.

An ear-shattering roar filled the room as an enormous black dog suddenly lunged into the room from thin air. It snarled and baring its teeth, came between Chloe and Luke. "Get the fuck away from him, false queen," it growled.

"Gabe?" I whispered.

"Gabriel!" Avery screamed as she ran toward him. She gripped onto the fur at his neck and buried her face in it.

"It can't be," the creature hissed, "You're dead."

Gabe made a chuckling noise, "My humanity is. I suppose I should thank you for that. I might never have found my true nature otherwise. Now, let me show you what you have unleashed, you pathetic fucking shadow." He turned and ran his tongue over Luke's wound, healing it instantly, then put his focus back on the creature.

Avery ran her hands through his fur, her eyes blackening and I could feel her magic pulling us together. She straightened next to him and held her hand out to me. It was like a lock slipping in place when our fingers intertwined. I could feel the surge of power moving through all of us. The shadows sensing the power shift began to scatter, running for the walls. Raven and Corey shredded them as they tried to flee. Kota began speaking in some strange language as magic seemed to swell all around us.

Gabe's steps were steady as he languidly stalked toward the creature. For a moment she seemed to shrink with fear, then her skin crackled and erupted in shadow and flames as she began to attack. Her talons sliced toward Avery and me, but neither of us even flinched. It was as if her touch went through us, never making contact. From the corner of my eye, I saw Owen grinning. My eyes widened slightly as I realized that she was merging all of our powers, not drawing them to her, but to each of us.

Chloe let out a howling scream as her talons connected with nothing but air. "How are you doing that?" she raved, "You're just a banshee...you don't have that kind of power."

Avery laughed, "No, I don't, but together, we all do. You made the mistake of underestimating what family really means. We are always stronger together than apart, and not even death can separate us now."

As if an unspoken thought flashed through our minds we all concentrated our magic on Chloe. Despite her own shadow magic, ours began to swirl around her, then mixed with tendrils of golden light. She thrashed as the wisps pulled tighter, seeming to bind her until she couldn't move and her mouth was bound. Both Owen and Gabe stepped before her, their magic glowing with a dark hue.

"From shadow you came," Owen said, his voice echoing across the room.

"To shadow you shall return," Gabe finished, then with a swift movement, he sank his fangs into the creature's neck, ripping her head completely off. They turned to us, "We need to put her behind the gate before she can reform."

I started to protest, but Avery placed her hand on my arm, "Don't stay away too long - either of you."

They both grinned and nodded, then vanished with the mangled body of the Shadow Queen.  

Author's Notes:  One shadow queen defeated...now what?