Chapter 40

Avery

I looked up at the clock. I swear Kota said to meet them at seven, but they were nowhere in sight. I had just pulled out my phone when I heard my name. "Hey Avery, I see you're back from your trip," Shane said as he stepped up to my table.

"Oh, hi Shane. Yeah, I just got in this morning. I'm meeting some friends for dinner, but they're running a bit late."

"That's too bad," he said and sat down uninvited. "I guess there's just three of us in the group now. Megan dropped the course."

My eyes widened, "What? I hadn't heard. Is she okay?" He just shrugged his shoulders. I kept scanning the area. I started to stand and leave, but he blocked me.

"So do you think we could meet at the library this week?"

"Uh, I don't know. Like I said, I just got back in town, and well..."

"Hey Cariño, sorry I'm late," Nathan said, slipping his arm around my waist. "Oh, who's this?"

I felt my body relax against his. "Nathan, this is Shane. We are in class and on a project together."

Nathan held out his hand, gripping Shane's firmly, "Pleasure to meet you. If you'll excuse us, something has come up and we have a last-minute change of plans." He didn't give Shane a chance to answer before pulling me to the door.

"Is everything okay? Where's Kota?" I asked as he buckled me into Kota's car.

"He's on the way to your apartment."

"What? No, that's not safe. What if someone from the school sees him?" I panicked.

"Avery, none of that matters. There's been an incident on campus while you were gone. I'll rent a different place for now and you're going to stay with me." His face was set and I noticed his jaw tensing.

"Nathan, what happened...you're scaring me."

He pulled along the street and parked, "A student was attacked. Kota and the other faculty were briefed earlier today when we got back. The Guarda have reason to believe it's someone affiliated with the college - possibly an employee or a student. Kota and I don't want you walking to class until they're caught and since you can't use street parking full time here and you can't stay at his place, that leaves me." He took my hand and squeezed it softly, "Are you okay?"

"Who...who was attacked?" I stammered.

Nathan shook his head, "I don't know. Kota would be able to tell you. Let's get inside. Kota's already packing your stuff. I have a hotel for tonight, and tomorrow we can look for a short-term rental, maybe an Airbnb. I nodded numbly, then took his hand when he opened the door for me. He held me close as we climbed the stairs to my apartment.

Kota had my entire kitchen packed and most of the bedroom by the time we arrived. "Avery," he said and quickly pulled me into his arms. "I was so worried when we missed you. I tried calling but it didn't connect and my mind went to the worst possible place." He kissed me and pressed his forehead to mine. "Did Nate explain things?"

I nodded, "He said there was an attack. Kota, who was it, and what happened that has you so freaked out?"

He led me to the couch and I didn't fail to notice that Nathan sat close to me as well. There was an unopened bottle of water on the table as well. "I need you to stay calm. What I'm going to tell you has not been made public, and may not be for some time. You can't repeat it to anyone connected to the school for now." Again, I nodded. I was beginning to feel like a damn bobblehead doll. "It was a fourth-year student, Megan Haynes. She and a friend had been working in the library and then walked home like most students do. She was attacked just south of campus. Her attacker was masked, but he brutally raped her."

The room began to spin as Shane's words came back to me... "She...she was in my class, my project group. Shane just mentioned she had dropped out. Oh, my gods..." I couldn't catch my breath. I knew I was crying and trying to talk, but I didn't think I was making any sense.

"Breathe, baby. Listen to Nate's heartbeat and breath," Kota spoke firmly. "You're safe and we aren't leaving you alone." I felt both their arms around me as I tried to control my breathing. "We've got you, love, just relax," he whispered. His lips pressed against my forehead, and my body went lax. He picked me up and carried me to the bed. "Okay, is there anything you don't want Nate or me to see as we pack up?"

"No," I whispered as I watched them load up my belongings. They took turns putting boxes in the car from my bedroom and little study area, never leaving me alone. I pulled the old stuffed panda to my chest and fought back more tears. My phone rang and I opened it. "Hello?"

"Avery? What's wrong?" Victor's voice came through the line.

I tried to explain, but could only cry and handed the phone to Kota. I heard him start explaining as he left the room. Nathan sat on the bed and pulled me against him. "Just let it out, cariño. You don't have to be brave right now. Kota and I will be brave for you," he said as he stroked the side of my face, pressing kisses to my hair.

Kota came back in. "Victor would like to talk to you if you're up to it." He handed me the phone.

"Hello," I whispered.

"Avery, baby, I'm so sorry. Do you want us to come back up? We can be there in the morning," he offered.

"No, that's okay. I only have three classes this week and one of them is with Kota, so I will be fine. Did he tell you I'm going to stay with Nathan?" I asked.

"Yeah, he explained everything. Honestly, it makes me feel better knowing you aren't alone. Nate will keep you safe. I love you, Avery. You call if you need anything, promise me."

"I will, I promise. I love you too. Give everyone hugs and kisses for me, please." We finished our conversation and I placed the phone in my jacket pocket

Nathan was still behind me as Kota sat on the bed. "We've put all your clothes and personal items in the car. Once you and Nate find a place, we'll have the rest moved over. I think it's time to get you two to the hotel so you can get some rest. I'll come over in the morning. When is your first class this week?"

"Tuesday, but will they cancel it?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. We have another faculty debrief at noon tomorrow, so I'll have a better idea then. For now, they aren't releasing her name. That's probably why your classmate thought she just dropped out. It's a safe way to account for her absence without disclosing what happened."

Author's Notes:  Darkness is coming...

Please comment, vote, share, and follow!