Chapter 95

Gabriel

I knew she wouldn't listen. Then again, I knew the moment that thing touched me, that my time was over. Stupid fucking queen and her prophesy. Watching my brave kitten pull that door closed was almost more than I could handle, but I knew she would do it.

Her hazel eyes met mine as she gaped like a fish fighting for air. "Ga...Gabriel?" She reached out her hand then pulled back uncertain if it was me or a trick of the shadows. She shook her head and whimpered, "No...no, not real."

I stepped forward as she pressed against the gate with nowhere to run, "Yes, real," I corrected her, then slammed my mouth against hers. I honestly have no idea how I was kissing her. I mean technically, I wasn't real. I was a shadow now, but that wasn't going to stop me from kissing her. Who knew if I'd ever get the chance again. When the kiss broke, she was panting. I looked into her terrified eyes, "You are so fucking grounded."

"I think I'm a lot more than grounded," she whispered, "I think I'm dead."

I shook my head and grabbed her hand, then placed it on her chest. "Still beating," I told her. She shakily reached out and placed her hand on my now repaired chest then whimpered with fresh tears spilling down her face. "Shh, no time for that, Chaton. We already knew I was gone, and we can't change it, but we can find a way to get you back in one piece."

"But...but I can't open the gate, and I can't leave you in here," she rushed. I slammed my lips to hers again, silencing her panic. I groaned when I felt her heart flutter. I swear I could smell her arousal as she leaned into me. "Gabriel," she gasped when I pulled away. Her eyes were glazed, nipples taut, and she was breathing heavily.

I chuckled softly, "Leave it to you to get hot and bothered in a shadow dimension, Chaton." I tucked her hair back and grinned, "I promise to take care of that ache soon, but for now, we need to figure out where we are and how to get you out." This time she didn't argue, just nodded. I took her hand and surveyed the area, then following some odd instinct in my gut, we headed to the left.

After walking for quite a while, I felt her stumble and mentally chastised myself. I may already be dead, but she wasn't. I'm sure the adrenaline from facing that thing was wearing off and she must be exhausted. Without a word, I scooped her up in my arms. She wrapped her arms around my neck, burrowing her face into my chest as I carried her. I could see what looked like rock formations ahead and wanted to reach them. Perhaps they could offer some sort of shelter where she could get rest for a while. I also had no idea how I would find food or water for her.

By the time I reached the outcropping I'd spotted, she was sound asleep in my arms. I didn't feel tired at all. I guess being dead has some advantages. I found a small opening that seemed safe enough and worked our way inside. I gently laid her down as I looked around for something to burn. Once I'd managed a slight fire near the entrance, I placed her back in my lap, letting her continue to sleep. Leaning against the stone wall I closed my eyes.

I wasn't sleeping, but the moment my eyelids closed, I was assaulted with an avalanche of images. Some I understood, like the final moments of my life, watching her free Olivia's soul, and her closing the gate, but others didn't make sense. I could see battles between shadows and the guys, Avery in with dark shadows swirling around her as she threw her head back in her banshee wail, a young girl with brilliant blue eyes who smiled and shifted into a large wolf. I leaned up with a start to find her hazel eyes watching me. "How long have you been awake?"

She shrugged, "Not long. I panicked at first because you weren't breathing, but then I remembered..." she drew in a sobbing breath. "I'm so sorry, mo chéad ghrá. This is all my fault."