Chapter 24

Owen

We all watched in complete fascination as Avery helped Erin light small candles on the table we had set up. Victor had explained a bit in the woods, but I still had questions. "So what do the candles represent?" I asked.

She gave a smile as Erin answered, "Mama says they are to welcome the sun back."

"That's right, sweetie. We light candles to welcome the sun back as the days get longer, then we place one in the window to welcome travelers in need," Avery said as she carried a small votive in a silver dish to the front window. "In the old days, Winter Solstice and Yule were both common celebrations. Even though Yule originally came from the Norse traditions, it integrated here when the Vikings came to Ireland in the fifteen hundreds. My Maimeó practiced a lot of the old ways and taught them to me when I was young. I think it's important for Erin to know her heritage as well."

"Avery even started writing down some of the local legends and we read them as bedtime stories," Luke added. "Speaking of, I think it's time for some little girl to get some sleep so that Father Christmas can come visit."

Erin protested as he rubbed her eyes. We all gave her hugs and kisses then she clung to Luke as they walked down the hallway to her room.

Avery stepped into the kitchen and came back with a tray of cookies and cups of cider. I noticed there were also small candies on the tray along with a decanter with a red liquid. "The last year my Maimeó walked this earth, she let me celebrate Loki's feast. I swear I think she knew her time was near. Now, if you aren't a drinker then avoid the decanter, but if you are, feel free to add some cinnamon whiskey to your cider. The candies will add a bit of cream as well. It tastes similar to an apple pie, but be careful, just like Loki, it will trick you into thinking you aren't drinking alcohol and you'll be smashed before you realize it," she giggled.

We all laughed as she passed the tray around. Luke came back taking his cup and sat next to her as he added some whiskey to both their cups. "A toast," he said, "to our lovely hostess, to family found again, and to those who are not with us but are in our hearts."

"Here, here," we all agreed, clinking our cups together gently.

"So are there any other traditions you follow over the holidays?" Sean asked.

Avery nodded, taking a sip, "On New Year's Eve we have a bonfire and throw in bay leaves or scraps of paper with our wishes for the year in it. The fire lifts it to the universe. Then the first is a day of reflection. I usually do a whole house cleaning if I'm not too, um, hung over from the night before. On those times, I'm reflecting in the toilet," she commented, making us all laugh.

"Oh, we've been there," Silas chuckled. "Do you have any idea how heavy this guy is?" He nodded to North. "I thought he was going to drown in the toilet one time when he passed out. I managed to get his head out and just threw a blanket over him on the floor."

"Oh my," she gaped.

"It was for the best, darlin'. I was so drunk I would've just thrown up in the bed," North admitted.

Sean jerked his thumb at me, "This guy is so controlled I thought I'd never get him drunk. Took forever, but damn was it worth it. Turns out, Owen is quite the karaoke singer with enough saki." My cheeks flushed crimson as they chuckled.

"Why does it feel like we're playing one of those drinking games Gabe always loved," Luke grinned. "Maybe a round of 'never have I ever' would get us caught up." The glint in his eyes was pure mischief.

Avery smirked, "Are you sure you want to go there?"

He laughed, "Your list can't be that good."

She straightened, walked to the kitchen, and returned with shot glasses. "Challenge accepted." She filled the cups with straight cinnamon whiskey and said, "Never have I ever sleepwalked in the yard naked."