29.

"Laurent is bringing a girl home for the weekend. It must be serious. He has never brought a girl home before, but then again, I cannot remember if he ever had one," Mrs. Anais Ferrier told her husband, Tom Ferrier after she had hung up. "I wonder if she is decent and if she comes from a good home. I wonder what she looks like. I'm telling you now, Tom, if I don't like her, I'll make it very clear. Laurent has been single for too long to throw himself at the first floozy that comes his way. She had better not be pregnant," she continued.

Mrs. Ferrier, like any concerned mother, wanted the best for her son, especially if it had taken him this long to find someone compatible. The mother of two sons, her youngest, Marcel, was already married to a girl of whom she approved. Marcel was the happy outgoing one who did not take life seriously, while Laurent was as closed as a clam about his personal life. She had given up long ago trying to get anything out of him.

Mrs. Anais was of average height and built with an indomitable personality. Five years ago when her doctor had diagnosed her with a mild lung ailment and suggested plenty of fresh air, she had packed up her mansion in the city, and she and her husband moved to the family stud farm. Six months ago, the doctors gave her a clean bill of health, but she enjoyed rural life to the point where she decided to stay until further notice.

She stood with her thin lips compressed and could not decide which to do first, call her son Marcel, or Dixie.

"Dixie," she called after having surveyed her surroundings with a hawk's eye.

"Yes, Mrs. Ferrier?"

"Laurent is coming home for the weekend, and he is bringing a girl. Make sure everything is spotless and prepare his regular room. Please prepare the room next to ours for the girl."

"Yes, Mrs. Ferrier."

"And make sure the pantry is fully stocked. I don't know why, because these modern girls are all vegetarians and only eat salads. I hope she is not one of those."

"Yes, Mrs. Ferrier.”

Dixie was about to leave to brief the rest of the staff. She had been in the employ of the Ferrier household for as long as she could remember, and they have always treated her like one of their own. She was promoted to house manager, and nowadays had the responsibility of seeing that everything runs like clockwork. She had basically raised the two boys and she loved them both, but her favorite had always been the quiet, introverted elder son.

"Marcel and his wife will be joining us," Mrs. Ferrier added as an afterthought.

"Yes, Mrs. Ferrier."
Mrs. Anais Ferrier sat down and dialed Marcel's number and when he picked up, she said, "Marcel, you and your wife must come to the farm this weekend."

"Why mom, what's wrong?" he asked, thinking it was a medical emergency.

"Your brother is bringing a girl home, and I wouldn't know what to do with her the entire weekend. I was hoping your wife could keep her company."

Marcel heard the stress and anxiety in his mother's voice, and burst out laughing. There were very few things in this world that could make her feel this way, and he couldn't help himself.

"Ok, mom, count us in. This is going to be a treat," he said, and laughed as he hung up.

Anais looked at her husband who hadn't said a word while sitting idly sucking on his pipe.

"Tom, you can't smoke in the house for the whole week. I want the house to smell fresh when the girl arrives. I'm afraid you will have to smoke on the veranda until after she has left."

"Yes, Anais," he said, got up and moved to the veranda.

Anais followed him and asked, "What do you think Tom? You have not said a word."