18.

Pasquale was not a happy man. At a time when his star should have shone at its brightest, it was on the decline, losing some of its sparkle on its way down, and he was afraid that should this downward trajectory continue, his downfall would escalate faster than a malfunctioning elevator. He had to stop the tide of large-scale emigration from his business, and he had to do it fast. His headache had started with the opening of Jacqueline's Atelier. And to add insult to injury, that infernal bunch of untalented individuals opened HC Emporium.

One-third of his wealthiest clients moved to Jacqueline. He could understand that because, although he would never admit it to anyone, the product coming out of her studio was brilliant. The other third was forced by Dorothy Huntington-Chase to have their haute couture made by HC Emporium where she wielded the baton. The other's who remained were not worth their salt. They couldn't afford Jacqueline's gowns and were snubbed by Mrs. Huntington-Chase as the poor relations of the rich.

Harold sat at Pasquale's desk, waiting for him to speak. He was not only his Head Designer but fulfilled the role of confidant.

"Harold, what do our sales figures look like for the last quarter?"

"Not good, Pasquale. It shows a steady decline. I've personally contacted the defected clients, offering your personal touch and better prices, but so far, no one is buying. I have to warn you that according to the rumor mill, Pasquale is about to close shop. That was started by the idle gossip mongers after we closed the two shops in the wealthiest malls."

"What are we doing about it?"

"We're trying to put out the fires, but it's not easy, and it won't stop, not until we make a public announcement to the contrary."

"How far is the Public Relations Department with my statement?"

"Almost done. As soon as it's ready, I'll have a look at it, and if I'm happy, I'll let you have it."

"Good, and how is our Autumn/Winter collection coming along?"

"Splendid."

"Make sure our runway show is before the HC Emporium one. If those second-rate clothes pedlars think they can upstage me, they've got another thing coming. I don't need to tell you how important this show is. The future of Pasquale hangs on it. I want my old clients back, and this show should convince them to return."

"We're pulling out all the stops, Pasquale. Don't worry. I've got this."

"Who's taking the lead on the collection?"

"I gave it to Gaby, she did an excellent job on the Spring/Summer collection. I hope you don't mind, but I made your nephew, Julian, her assistant. That boy has real talent and shows great promise."

"Which reminds me. When you leave here, send him to me."

"Sure, is there anything else?"

"Did the bank get back to you about the loan we applied for?"

"We haven't heard from them yet. I'll check back with them as soon as I get to my office."

"Thanks, Harold."

-•-

When Julian announced his desire to become a fashion designer, Pasquale took a look at his sketches, recognised his talent and sent him to Bollinger's. Julian was a handsome young man with chestnut brown hair, deep brown eyes and a smile as wide as the sky. He was a people's person and one could not help but like him.

After graduation and out of gratitude to his uncle Pasquale, he joined his company, and at the age of twenty-one, his fresh ideas made them sit up and take notice.