28.

You are hereby cordially invited to be ready by 18:00 on Saturday for a surprise evening.

The black and gold embossed card never failed to light up her face.

It had been two months since the opening of her store. She had put a management system in place which left her free to concentrate on haute couture which was her number one passion. Even in the Atelier, she employed and trained staff to her standards and developed a reporting system, leaving her free to do more research and development, an area in which so much was possible. Jacqueline planned the opening of a new store in the mall and it kept her more busy than she thought it would, while conceptualizing her first runway show.

"Why haven't you had a runway show yet?"
Laurent asked Jacqueline over dinner at Harry's.

"Because I haven't had anything to show," she answered.

"What do you mean? People love your clothing," Laurent said astonished.

"Let me ask you a question. What is the purpose of a runway show?"

"To show off your creativity."

"That is one reason. There are more. Can you think of anything else?"

"I'm at a loss. Why don't you enlighten me please," Laurent said, slightly embarrassed.

"It wasn't a trick question, Laurent. The general public sees the glitz and glamor. They know there's a lot of work behind the scenes, but when the lights go down, and the buyers of the retail giants are not impressed, or buying, you're stuck with a huge bill. The runway shows were originally designed for the buyers. Today it has developed into a circus where the celebrities occupy the front-row seats and the buyers are pushed to the back. When I have my show, I will restore the dignity of the buyer. They are the decision makers, not the celebrity who cannot afford the price of my garments. The real influencers are the designers, fabric developers, colourists, hair stylists, make-up and accessories developers. And then someone wants to model my clothes, calls herself an influencer and expects me to pay her. When you strip away their pretenses, they are mere marketing agents."

"Wow! I did not know that."

"Most people don't. They don't realize that what they bought and are wearing every day, is the simplified version of what the buyer bought of what was showcased on the runway."

"That's why many of the designers go bankrupt?"

"Yes, if you've had a bad show, and you don't have an investor with deep pockets, it will swallow your capital, and then you'll have to consider downsizing or closing your doors altogether. What most of the start-ups don't realize is that the big name brands were built over decades and if they suffer a loss, it won't make a dent in their finances. People like me can't throw money around to impress others. There has to be a return on investment."

"What a revelation. I will definitely look at the fashion industry with new respect."

"Thanks Laurent."

Harry's restaurant had oak paneling against the walls, marble floor tiles, genuine crystal chandeliers, an air of quiet elegance and limited seating. Laurent always managed to get a table, even on short notice, and they had spent many nights over excellent dinners.

"I've never been interested in architecture, but after having met you, I've started to look at it with new eyes," Jacqueline said.

"Yes, and what do you see?" Laurent asked.

"I see a celebration of life and of man's ability at the height of achievement. In the past I used to see glass, steel and concrete, but I came to the realization that without the proper steel, the exact amount of concrete and the best glass, it would be impossible to achieve that height and keep it standing. You design using those elements, and I in fabric, but it's on the same principle. Should you fail to innovate, you stagnate and lose."

"Well done," Laurent said, "I have never thought of comparing the two, but you're right. And now that we have finished our coffee, I have another surprise for you."

"Don't stop," Jacqueline said, and laughed, "Where are we going?"

"It would not be a surprise if I tell you."

He asked for the check and after having paid it, asked his driver to drive them to the harbor. They boarded a yacht named Anais, which took them out to sea. The breeze was fresh, and Jacqueline, wearing a double spaghetti strapped dress with a low cut back, felt its sting, but she did not complain. She stood on the deck and her hair and dress fluttered in the wind. Laurent came up from behind her, and having taken off his jacket, placed it gently around her shoulders, while hugging her tight. They stood like that for a while watching the city growing smaller in the distance, until the last of the lights fell off the horizon, and only the black night remained.

"Whose yacht did we steal in the middle of the night?"

"Only the family's."

"Oh," Jacqueline said, "Nice name. I guess it must be named after one of your family members?"

"My father named it after my mother. Let me show you around downstairs when you are ready."

"Let us go now. The wind is taking a fresh turn, and you need your jacket."

"Nonsense, you keep it for as long as you want. I have a full wardrobe downstairs."

They went down, and he showed her around. It was tastefully decorated in beige, brown and bronze, and the leather still smelled genuine. The wooden rails glowed rich after their French polish  and the brass fittings shimmered dully by the light of the crescent-shaped moon. Laurent poured them both a glass of red wine, and they sat at the broad window, watching the night flying by. They enjoyed it in silence.

Jacqueline leaned back and Laurent cradled her in his arms. She felt his heartbeat, and it had the same powerful pulse as the engine beneath their feet. He stroked her unruly hair occasionally, and at one point he kissed the nape of her neck, barely touching it.

She loved every inch of this tall thin healthy man with his deep tan, acquired by spending so much time on building sites. His blue eyes were always intent when working, but glowed softly when he was around her. His coal black hair, with its widow's peak and few silver strands was, according to her, his most adorable feature, but then again, she preferred not to separate his features, she loved the whole package.

Soft music caught Jacqueline's ears. She put her glass down, took Laurent's out of his hand, and dropped it onto a side table, pulled him up and into a slow dance. He had danced before, but here, amongst the untamed forces of nature, it acquired an intimacy which brought them closer than ever. They were the only two people in the world floating on a black velvet mantle.

All her life she had fought for what she wanted, but in his arms she found peace and rest, in the knowledge that she could rely on his strength and with him by her side she would never have to fight alone again.

Laurent drank in the perfume of her hair and skin whose familiar smells induced a sense of calm. He was glad that Jacqueline had pulled him into the dance, because it was the furthest thing from his mind. The yacht gave a sudden jolt and he held her closer, afraid that something might happen to her, and for the first time in his life he wished the night would never end. She looked into his eyes and it told her that while he was around she would need not fear anything. He bent down slowly and kissed her gently. They closed their eyes and in that moment their souls united and became one.

Always…. Forever.

The yacht stopped and they were back in civilization. He took her hand, helped her off the yacht and to the car. They drove home in silence. Words were unnecessary, because their souls communicated on a much deeper level.

"You are hereby cordially invited to meet my parents next week. Pack an overnight bag, we are staying the weekend," Laurent whispered in her ear.

"What? No card? This is unacceptable. You are seriously slipping, Mr. Ferrier," Jacqueline said. "Thanks for the invite. I accept.” He pulled her close and kissed her goodnight at her door.

-•-

Thank you for reading, commenting and voting. It is much appreciated.