3.

Tall, stunning, and pixie-faced Rose had hit the genetic jackpot. Blonde, blue-eyed, of average brain capacity, lots of money, the youngest of four siblings, and the only girl, had everything anyone could ask for. She was adored by a loving mother and worshiped by a doting father.

Born in the majestic manor house on Silverleaf Estate, with its sprawling lawns, landscaped gardens which were dotted with statues and gnomes, water fountains and bushes clipped in the shape of her favorite animals, she reveled in the lap of luxury.

Rose was born with the proverbial silver spoon in her mouth and even had a baby picture showing her being fed by her nanny with said spoon. She and her mother proudly showed it to anyone who displayed the slightest interest in the family photo albums.

Her mother, Mrs. Dorothy Huntington-Chase was a tall thin woman. Since time immemorial she had been on a strict diet and was the spitting image of a celery stick. She believed that a woman should never let herself go, and for that reason, she secretly detested some of her close friends, who over the years had allowed mother nature to run its course and pile on the pounds. She disliked fat people in general and had instilled her silly notions into her daughter's head since childhood. Her mania was not limited to her own diet, but extended to everyone in her household, and it was the bane of her existence that the boys did not adhere to her strict standards.

Dorothy would then, by way of consolation, intimate that they inherited their lax ways from their father. She, therefore, concentrated all her efforts on educating Rose in her ways who turned out to be quite the little Dorothy as she grew older.

Dorothy, having nothing better to do with her time, and reveling in the title of socialite, started and appointed herself as Chairperson of her charity foundation which was generously funded by her husband. She loved throwing lavish parties and had insisted that her husband build her a ballroom, which was attached to the mansion, where she could entertain the Who's Who on the Social Register and the latest and hottest celebrities of arts and culture, to her heart's content.

She was never seen in the same ballgown twice, and when she heard that Rose intended to become a fashion designer, she nearly jumped for joy, promising herself to become a walking billboard for her daughter's creations and influencing her friends to buy from Rose.

Mrs. Huntington-Chase was perfectly happy with all of Rose's decisions, except one. She did not approve of her daughter's choice of best friend. The first time Rose brought Jacqueline home, she had taken an instant dislike to this odd child. She had used every excuse in the book not to have Jacqueline invited to her spotless mansion, except on special occasions like birthday parties, when she could not avoid the inevitable. When she learned that Jacqueline came from the middle class suburb of Sunstreak, she was horrified.

She then decided never to allow Rose to visit that part of town. She mildly tolerated Jacqueline for Rose's sake, and although Jacqueline, always on her best behavior, disturbed her immensely for reasons she could not quite identify. She had hoped that Rose would outgrow this friendship and when she discussed her feelings on this particular subject with her husband he simply laughed.

"What if Rose mixes with the boys on that side of town?" Dorothy asked, "We have invested far too much time and money in her education for her to fall in love with one of them and elope. I shudder at the thought."

"There my dear, you're letting your imagination run away with you, as always. You must learn to relax, and besides, they're still girls, and Rose would never think of breaking her dear mother's heart like that," he said soothingly.

Richard Huntington-Chase was used to his wife's overactive imagination and constant worrying about things that may never come to pass. Over the years he had refined the art of soothing over her multiple neuroses by asking, "So, my dear, have you set a date for your next ball yet? I must say you looked ravishing in the cream silk gown you wore the last time."