24.

Laurent unlocked a door with a special key and they found themselves in a wine cellar. The room felt cool and the walls were lined with racks filled with a selection of local and rare imported vintages. Special fridges kept the white wine at the correct temperature, and in the middle stood a rosewood table with bottles of red wine with the labels removed. When Jacqueline saw what was about to happen, she laughed. He had promised her a special wine tasting and decided to involve the whole family, and turn it into a fun event. Clean glasses lined the top of a sideboard. Each one sat down on a barstool with a clean glass in front of them.

"I promised Jacqueline a wine tasting, and I've decided there's no better time than the present, and I hope we'll have fun doing it. The bucket next to you is called a spit bucket, and after you have taken a sip, you spit it out. That way you won't get drunk. Eat a scoop of sorbet afterwards to clean the palate, and move on to the next one. The reason why I removed the labels is so that you don't get influenced by it. The process to follow is to swirl it, sip it, roll it around in your mouth, and spit. What I then need you to do is tell me what you've tasted. There is no right or wrong answer. Ready to have fun?"

"Yes!" they shouted in unison.

"Pears, peaches, plums, berries, cherries, chocolates, spices," they called out depending on the wine. They warmed to the game, and their eyes sparkled with excitement as Laurent poured one vintage after another.

"At one point Mrs. Dupont pulled a face and exclaimed, "This one tastes like grass."

The company laughed.

"Mrs. Dupont is not wrong. It's lemongrass," Laurent said, coming to her aid.

''There is no exact science in drinking wine, and don't let anyone tell you any different. It's personal and dictated by your palate. When you eat something sweet or salty, it will also influence the taste of the wine. My philosophy is to drink what you enjoy and to enjoy what you drink. I hope you have enjoyed it, and that concludes the lesson for today."

"More," Calvin shouted.

"Calvin!" Mrs.  Dupont reprimanded him.

Calvin and Mr. Dupont had, on more than one occasion, swallowed, and they both felt a little tipsy.

"One more thing, and then we're done eating and drinking for the night," Laurent said as he placed a small bottle in their hands, "it's Jagermeister. It's a digestive."

They drank it, and the bitter taste made them glad it was over and done with.

"I think we can all do with a bit of fresh air," Laurent said as he led the way to the rooftop garden. Laurent brought shoulder rugs for the ladies to protect them against the chill. They sat discussing every topic under the sun.
During a lull in the conversation Laurent said, "Mr. and Mrs.  Dupont, you are aware that Jacqueline and I are friends, and she means the world to me. I've come to know and respect the wonderful woman you have raised, and I want to do things the right way. I would like to get to know her better, and being raised according to old school values, I would like to take this opportunity to ask your permission to date your daughter exclusively. I know it is sudden, and I don't expect an answer right away. Think about it, and let me have your answer in your own time."

Mrs. Dupont brimmed with happiness and excitement, but restrained herself from saying a word. She instinctively knew that this was for her husband to answer, so she kept quiet. Henri knew that the burden to speak was on his shoulders, and after clearing his throat, he asked, "What does it mean? Does it mean you're engaged?"

"No Mr. Dupont, we're not engaged. When I look at other young people I see them rushing into marriage after knowing each other for a few weeks. When the euphoria has worn off and the honeymoon stage is over, and they get to see each other for who they truly are, they end up in divorce. I don't want that to happen to us. I want to give Jacqueline the opportunity to see my true colors before we move forward."

"Fair enough," Mr. Dupont said, "In that case I don't have a problem with it. Anything from your side, wife?"

"You have our blessings," she said as she wiped a stray tear from the corner of her eye.

"And don't forget Jacqueline's colors. She has a rainbow full of them," Calvin said.

"Calvin!" Mrs. Dupont scolded happily, "Don't talk bad about your sister."

"Don't worry mom, I'm used to his dark humor."

"Look at the time, we've got to go. It's work tomorrow for all of us," Mr. Dupont said, while standing up.

"Thanks for a lovely evening," Mrs.  Dupont said.

"Always a pleasure," Laurent replied.

At the door there were three neatly wrapped packages, and Laurent handed one to each of them, and they thanked him.

"This is too much for one evening," Mrs. Dupont said on their way home, "A limousine ride, an uptown penthouse, turtle soup, a five course dinner, a wine tasting, a rooftop garden and presents. I don't know when I last  had such a good time. Our neighbors must be bursting with curiosity, and I think I'll have them over for tea and tell them only once."

"No way!," Calvin screamed as he looked goggle-eyed at his present. In his impatience he had ripped the wrapping off and couldn't believe what he saw.

"Couldn't you wait until we get home?" Mrs. Dupont asked.

It fell on deaf ears. When he got home, he rushed to his room to try out his new XBOX.
When Mrs. Dupont opened her present, she found the most exquisite diamond necklace, reclining on black velvet.

Mr. Dupont opened his big box and found a small card with the message, genuine black leather reclining armchair for one, for the sole purpose of watching sport all day long, to be delivered tomorrow. 

He laughed until his side's felt like splitting.

"Oh Jacky, he thought, I love you baby girl.

He had been complaining about getting a new one for months, and when Laurent had asked Jacqueline what her father would want most as a present, she had told him, and the wish came true.

-•-

Thank you for reading, commenting and voting. It is much appreciated.