251-260

Chapter 251: The Bigshot's Favor (One More)

In the morning, there were classes on the Analects and calligraphy. The teacher, Mr. Jiang, from the Hanlin Academy, was forty-two this year and had considerable qualifications as a Hanlin official.

When Mr. Jiang entered the classroom, all students, including the two princesses, stood up to show respect.

It was Su Xiao Xiao's first time paying this kind of respect as a student. She followed the example of Princess Jingning beside her.

Princess Jingning: She's even looking at me while paying respects.

Mr. Jiang gestured for everyone to sit down and began the formal class.

Su Xiao Xiao's unique appearance, combined with her sitting in the first row, made her stand out.

Mr. Jiang glanced at her and noticed her desk was empty.

Mr. Jiang frowned, "Where is your book?"

Su Xiao Xiao looked around.

Everyone had a copy of the Analects on their desks, except her.

She said, "No one gave me one."

The other girls chuckled.

Mr. Jiang furrowed his brow, "You're supposed to bring your own. Didn't anyone tell you?"

"No," Su Xiao Xiao replied truthfully.

The teacher found it hard to believe. He and several other teachers had already reported the necessary preparations yesterday. Officials from the Ministry of Rites and the Inner Palace had coordinated everything. Seeing that everyone else had their books, it was clear she had received the notice.

Forgetfulness was one thing, but providing herself with such a flimsy excuse was another matter.

Mr. Jiang's impression of this new student instantly plummeted.

"Use mine," Princess Jingning generously placed her book between them.

If someone else did that, Mr. Jiang would have scolded them on the spot: "If you have so much ability, go help her get dressed and eat!"

But it was a princess, so Mr. Jiang swallowed his frustration and said, "Let's begin the class."

Then, he suddenly asked, "Who is Miss Su?"

Su Xiao Xiao quietly raised her chubby hand, "It's me."

Mr. Jiang: ...

Today, Mr. Jiang taught the "Li Ren" chapter of the Analects.

"Li Ren is beautiful. Without choosing benevolence, how can one know? Those without benevolence cannot dwell in restraint for long and cannot remain in happiness for a lifetime. A benevolent person is at peace with benevolence, and a wise person benefits from benevolence. Only the benevolent can be kind and harsh towards others. If one aspires to benevolence, there will be no wickedness."

"Which student knows the next sentence?"

As he spoke, Mr. Jiang's gaze fell on Princess Huian, who looked eager to learn.

"Huian Princess, please tell us."

"Huh?" Princess Huian was taken aback.

She didn't understand how she suddenly got singled out.

"Li Ren is at peace with benevolence, and there is no wickedness. The next sentence." Mr. Jiang thought she might not have heard clearly and repeated it.

Princess Huian couldn't answer.

She looked like she was diligently listening to the lecture, and Mr. Jiang thought she was knowledgeable—