231-240

Chapter 231: Confrontation (Part 2)

  A quarter of an hour later, the two were forcefully taken to a tavern.

  They entered a private room at the end of the corridor on the left.

  In the room stood a man wearing a bamboo hat, covering his face, making it impossible to see his features, only vaguely revealing a cold curve of his chin.

  Behind the man was a landscape screen.

  The two, not well-versed in the world, thought that the man in the bamboo hat was the person in charge.

  Mr. Su anxiously asked, "May I ask this sir, why have you brought our grandfather and grandson here?"

  At this moment, Mr. Su no longer had a trace of his former arrogance. All the sharp edges on his body had been worn down.

  The man in the bamboo hat was none other than Xu Qing, a confidant of Qin Jiang.

  Xu Qing carefully examined the two and spoke, "Did you come from Xinghua Village in Qingzhou?"

  Mr. Su slightly bowed, "Yes, we did."

  Su Dalang supported his grandfather, feeling anxious and uneasy.

  Xu Qing coldly asked, "Was it the people from Duke Zhenbei's residence who brought you to the capital?"

  Su Dalang looked at his grandfather, unsure whether to answer or not.

  Mr. Su said, "Yes."

  Xu Qing continued, "Is your surname Su?"

  Mr. Su replied, "Yes."

  Xu Qing then asked further, "How many Su families are there in your village?"

  Mr. Su honestly answered, "Two. Our old Su family has been living in Xinghua Village for generations, and there is another smaller Su family that moved into the village more than ten years ago."

  Xu Qing clapped his hands and unfolded a portrait, asking, "Do you recognize this man?"

  Mr. Su looked at the portrait, hesitating.

  Xu Qing sternly asked, "Do you want to live? Be honest and admit, do you recognize him or not?"

  Su Dalang, frightened, quickly said, "Yes, we recognize him. His name is Su Cheng, from the small Su family."

  Xu Qing then took out two more portraits, "Which one is his daughter?"

  Mr. Su pointed, "The plumper one."

  He didn't make a mistake.

  In Xu Qing's hands, there were three portraits – one of Su Xiao Xiao, one of a random person.

  "What is her name?"

  Su Dalang hesitated but answered truthfully, "Su, Su Daya."

  Xu Qing asked, "Does she have a husband?"

  Su Dalang was surprised, "You mean Wei Xiaolangjun?"

  Xu Qing, without answering, asked arrogantly, "How did he marry Su Daya?"

  Su Dalang whispered, "He... he was picked up by Su Cheng. Su Daya's marriage was canceled, and Su Cheng went to the village to find a husband. When she couldn't find one, she picked up a person by the roadside."

  To be honest, initially, they didn't know that Wei Ting was picked up by Su Cheng. They thought he had gone to another village to bind himself to a family.