99

Chapter 99: Jealousy (Part One)

Over the years of running his business, Mr. He had learned one thing: never overestimate the kindness of people.

Just because those influential gentlemen had good reputations didn't mean they had hearts of gold. Sometimes, the more powerful they were, the less they tolerated mistakes from those below them.

Moreover, this wasn't just any pastry; it was specifically requested by Mr. Qi, and who knew if it was his mother's favorite? If it were missing at the birthday celebration, it could spell trouble.

Mr. He asked, "How many days until the celebration?"

The accountant replied, "Three days."

Mr. He's expression darkened. "Why didn't you say so earlier?"

If he had known earlier, he could have tolerated the siblings for a while longer!

The accountant thought to himself that this was something he had instructed before the New Year. The kitchen staff would know when the time came; there was no need for Mr. He to worry!

But who could have anticipated that on Mr. He's first day in charge, he would offend the suppliers?

Mr. Sun, who had been in charge before, might not have been the most honorable person, but he managed the business well, and everything at Jinji was in order. This mess was solely Mr. He's fault.

Mr. He asked with a headache, "How many salted egg yolks do we have left?"

The accountant reluctantly replied, "Not a single one."

Mr. He said coldly, "But didn't we just receive a shipment?"

The accountant helplessly explained, "We received a hundred, and they were all used up. The chefs sampled two, and the rest were sold out yesterday. Today, customers came asking why we were out of salted egg yolk pastries."

Mr. He slammed his fist on the table in frustration!

...

Unbeknownst to her, Su Xiao Xiao's seemingly insignificant retaliation had inadvertently hit Jinji Restaurant where it hurt.

She was busy counting the items in her small basket.

She slapped her forehead. "I forgot to give the red dates and white fungus I got from Aunt Fu to Aunt Yu!"

"Dad! Er Gou! Da Hu Er Hu Xiao Hu! I'm going out for a bit!"

In the main hall, the only one not called was Wei Ting, who looked a bit displeased.

The Su family's house was particularly lively today. Relatives from the Zheng family had come, including Su Yu Niang's husband, Zheng Yuanbo, and her elder sister, Zheng Lanshou.

Su Yu Niang had given birth and celebrated the New Year at her parents' home, and there had been some gossip in the village. However, due to the Su family's reputation, no one spoke too ill of them openly, but what they thought privately was unknown.

The door of the Su family's house was open, and Su Xiao Xiao walked right in.

The main hall was empty, but there was constant conversation coming from Su Yu Niang's room.

"...Yu Niang, you've had your child, and the New Year has passed. It's time to go back."

Su Xiao Xiao vaguely remembered the voice; it was probably from Su Yu Niang's elder sister, Zheng Lanshou.

"Your husband has been worried sick about you. Isn't that right, Xing Ge?"

"Yeah, yeah! Yu Niang, come back with me!"